Handicap chair lift for motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolphin Jockey

Hi Folks,

I am facing the urgent need to equip my motorhome with a chair lift to get my handicapped wife from the ground level to inside the motorhome without her having to climb any steps.  So far my search has come up with only one possibility: the CoachLift system, seen at www.coachlift.com .  Does anyone know of other similar systems?  If so please point me to a web site so I can check it out.  Thanks a bunch.

Best regards,
George

Ron said:
George,  Have you checked out the lifts mentioned HERE ?

Hi Ron,

No, I hadn't seen that site before.  Many of their lifts deal with moving a wheelchair from the ground to the inside but that's not what I'm looking for.  I need one which just lifts a person.  That web site did lead me to a lift which caught my eye.  It's at http://www.startracks.org/oldsite/seat_lifts.htm  That one is interesting because the lift mechanism mounts inside the coach.  Will have to look into that one closer.

Thanks, my friend.

Have a safe holiday.

Ron said:
Have you googled for handicap chair lift for motorhomes?  several possibles listed.

Hi Ron,
You know me!  Been there; done that.  Interestingly, using "seat lift for motorhomes" gets different results than using "chair lift for motorhomes."  Found a couple more sites I hadn't seen before but these seem to concentrate on lift mechanisms which are all mounted inside the coach.  I would think having the lift chair inside would create an interference / storage problem for anyone wanting to enter / leave the coach by way of the stairs.  With an outside-mounted mechanism the chair simply could be left outside and pulled in when needed.  Obviously, when traveling it would have to be removed and stored.

So far I still favor the outside-mounted CoachLift.  Big problem with them is a minimum five-week processing time after receipt of the order.  I need to leave on a trip NLT February 2 (SIL's retirement from the USAF) with Jean and right now she cannot climb the motorhome steps, and I doubt she'll be able to by our departure date.  Could drive the car but I hate suitcases and motels.

If anyone else has suggestions I'd appreciate getting them.

Have you tried contacting them let them know your needs and see if they can improve on the completion time?  Might help after all nothing ventured nothing gained.

A Hoyer lift will work.  This is for lifting person, not the wheelchair.  When I was at Lazy Days RV we had a local guy that did the installations. 

Ron said:
Have you tried contacting them let them know your needs and see if they can improve on the completion time?  Might help after all nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hi Ron,

Did that about two hours ago.  Still waiting on a reply.

PancakeBill said:
A Hoyer lift will work.  This is for lifting person, not the wheelchair.  When I was at Lazy Days RV we had a local guy that did the installations. 

Hi Bill,

I'll Google it and see what happens.  Thanks for the info.

Ron said:
Hope they can accomodate you.  Also the one Bill mentioned might be an option.

Hi Ron,

The lady at ChairLift called me back and said they could cut their processing time by two weeks.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that their prices went up today by a substantial amount.  Can't win.  Not sure what we'll do now, especially since Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is on record stating that income tax refunds this year will be in the form of an I.0.U.  I think CA taxpayers should reduce their periodic state income tax payments so that at the end of this year we can send the governor an I.O.U. for the balance due.  ;D

Re: the Hoyer lift.  Good suggestion but too many moving parts for me.

Sorry to hear about the price increase.  As for the state IOU I don't think they could legally force anybody holding the IOU to pay taxes until the IOU has been paid off. 

Back
Top Bottom