Happy 75th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.... headed straight for the Cabbage Patch!

Wouldn't that be Potato Patch Margi? Or, as Dan Quayle would say, Potatoe Patche  ;D

I crossed the Pacific twice while in the Air Force. The first was on a USAF C-135 and the loadmastrer told us to stop complaining about the rearward facing canvas chairs for 14 hours, we could be on a troopship for a couple of weeks!

The second trip was on Pan Am with great stewardesses and I couldn't help but think of those troopships.

I was on a troopship for a couple of weeks (18 days, one way) across the Pacific. I much preferred the Air America flight the next trip.

I have a pencil sketch of the area of the bridge done by my grandmother sometime between 1910 and 1920.  It is more likely it was done in 1910 as that is when they, my grandfather and family returned from the Phillipine Islands.

Tom and Margi said:
That's really neat!  The little boat that could is headed straight for the Cabbage Patch!

Margi

There probably are more than a few nicknames for that section under the Gate, but Tom's Dad's fishing buddies all called it the Cabbage Patch beginning in the 1930's, so that's what we always called it.

Margi

Got it, thanks Margi.

Turns out there are several "patches', all part of the Four Fathom Bank. One source quotes the origin of the Potato Patch name as:

The Potato Patch was named for the 1800s potato farms near Bolinas Lagoon which shipped to markets in San Francisco: "Occasionally a potato boat would capsize on the sand bar, spilling its load..." (Doris Sloan, Geology of the SF Bay Region, UCPress 2006, p.121.)

... section under the Gate ...

Most folks don't realize that the Golden Gate is actually the entrance to the Bay from the Pacific, and the bridge was built across the Gate. It's interesting that the first voyagers coming up the coast sailed right past the Gate without seeing it. I'm reminded of this every time we come up the coast - the strait is angled to the north, and you can't see it until you're almost past it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom