Have this bogging/stalling issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldbones

So I have a Ford E350 460/7.5 based Jamboree F26 that's barely running. A few months back I replaced both batteries, the pump under the driver's side, and the fuel pressure regulator. After that I got her started, idled for about 20 minutes, then shut off. But she started up again. Took it around the neighborhood for about about as long to get a feel for driving something that big and then put it back where I'd been keeping it since I bought it almost a year and a half before. I turned it over a few times in the months since but didn't run it long or take it anywhere.

Last week I had to leave where I was and it's been nothing but stalling. Bogs down, shudders, sounds like someone's beating on the inside of the doghouse by the accelerator, stalls. Let it sit for a while, turns back over, rev it some, and sometimes at high RPM it goes and holds on but it's not but maybe three or four blocks before it stalls again (not always with the puttering doghouse-knocking). I can maybe stave off the stall for a bit by fluttering the pedal, but there's barely any power to it. Bucks a little like it wants to run but it just can't catch. After, it smells rich.

It took me almost 5 hours to limp it to an auto parts store almost 3 miles away where they tested the batteries I'd just put in a few months back to say one was dead and the other almost-so. They replaced one and charged the other.  It starts up easier and sooner, but still does the same stalling routine.

I've looked around forums for the last few days but can't seem to find anything that seems to quite fit the bill.

Unfortunately right now, I'm kind of in a transitional bind, so I can't afford for it not to be running (or, at least, not stalling out every few blocks). Nor can I afford to throw money at a mechanic, so it's a beginner's wrench-it-myself thing.

Any suggestions for what this might be would be greatly appreciated.

Batteries do slowly discharge, even when disconnected, so periodic charging, along with being sure the water level is up where it belongs,  would be required to keep them in decent shape.

Running an engine for a very short period, then letting it sit, then running it for a short while again, then letting it sit, lets a lot of moisture collect in the engine, since it probably didn't get hot enough for long enough to bake the moisture out, and that's worse than not running it at all. And if it sat for so long, it's possible that the gasoline went bad, either collecting moisture or varnishing up, or...

How full was you fuel tank? Like Larry eluded to, you may have collected water in your fuel tank sitting for so lone. Try adding some dry gas to the tank and see if that helps.

Make sure no critters have taken up residence in your air intake box, or chewed any wires. Its amazing how sitting can be the worst thing for machinery. Mice in particular are a big pain. Try drawing gas straight out of a jerry can. This would rule out or confirm the gas tank issue. Good luck.

I appreciate the replies.

When I did that stuff before the start of summer I put some of that water remover and stabalizer in the tank and added about 10 gallons. I've since added around another 10 gallons in the last few days thinking that perhaps the tank was empty (gauge is busted) but that actually overfilled it. So given how much I've added myself I figure it had a little under half a tank when I originally bought it.

I took the air assembly apart this morning all the way to the throttlebody, to check the hoses and filter but don't see anything.

Today's gasoline with ethanol in it deteriorates a lot just by sitting in the tank so you may have 'bad gas'. If it smells bad it could well be. I used to live this problem every spring in my boat and the problem was even worse because of the oil/gas mix (2 stroke engine). New gas... and no further problem.
A good (old fashioned) carb cleaning product added to the gas may help.

If it sat for a year and a half with 1/2 tank of fuel and then you added more in the last couple weeks it probably did not help the bad gas. You now just have more to drain out. You symptoms are bad gas the knocking is spark knock because the gas has lost its octane level from setting and the alcohol in todays gas did not help. Drain and refill the tank and if you are going to let set for 90 days or more add fuel stabilizer.

As mentioned by others bad gas.

Second issue is why did new batteries die.  Do you leave the unit plugged in? If no, batteries drain slowly on there own when left connected to the unit, slower when disconnected.  If yes, then your converter is bad.

When you get it running properly have the engine alternator tested and batteries.

Note that this is just basic engine diagnosis - there is nothing unique to it being an RV.  Back to the basics of fuel, spark and air.

Bad gas would fit the symptoms, but so would faulty spark causing misfires in one or more cylinders. Spark problems are also commonly caused by moisture in the wiring, distributor, or plug caps, but can also be rodent-chewed wires or broken spark plugs.

How old is the rig?
Does it have OBDII?
you can get it scanned fairly cheaply.
I would suspect ignition issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back