Headlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Golfer

I have a 1999 Triple E Commander that i would like to change the headlights on as the lenses are not clear anymore.I can't find what headlights they used on these RVs.Anyone out there have any info on this,Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

1999 Triple E Commander, like this?

Looks to be about a 97-05 Buick Regal headlamp assembly. I'd pull one and check the part number to be sure. Should have a GM part number on it.

They may also have DOT number on the lens, if you can read it. Try googling it and see what it matches.

99644413_614.jpg
Buick-Regal.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 18.37.04.png

Wow, that's a really good match up there good research I'd have to say. If it fits good if it's close and works just use some wedges and your set or even some clear silicone, you'll be all set.

Headlights and tail lights are frequently adapted from cars and trucks. There is some diesel pusher model in use now, that I have seen on a couple of occasions that use KIA Soul tail lights. Its a matter of putting the DOT number on the lens into Google and seeing what you get. Most I suspect use aftermarket lights so they may not have the OEM numbers on them.

Charles

How about the Ceramic coating as seen on TV??. to refresh the present ones for 20 bucks>>>>>Dan
Most of these coatings do not last. Once the original coating starts to deteriorate from UV exposure, the coatings are only a band aid. My neighbor tried three different brands and none lasted more than few months.

Welcome to the forum.
I took mine one time to a body shop and they buffed them. Just like new. So if you know someone with a buffer, ask them to do it for a six pack

Headlamps are small enough to buff by hand. An assortment of 3M Scotch-brite polishing pads should clean up those old lamps. Use some rubbing compound if you like.

I have used the 3M kit a couple of different times. It wet sands with various grades ending with about 2000 grit. Some polishing after the sanding then applying a coat of the 3M hard coat and mine have lasted about three years so far on a car out in the weather 24/7. Previous car was also done with the 3M kit and looked nice when sold, two or three years after they were done.

Charles

I will agree, buy a kit, sand, rinse, top coat. Mask off area with blue painters tape. You will be amazed how well it works.

I have also used some of these kits, the best / longest lasting effect one that I have tried so far is Cerakote ceramic headlight restoration kit. It is a little more expensive than some at about $18, and takes a few minutes longer, but in my experience so far it holds up longer than others I have tried.

Nice day today so i decided to wet sand my headlights with 600 grit then 1200 and followed up with a machine buffing with 3M rubbing compound.The results were so amazing i also did my 2002 Chrysler Sebering convertible toad with the same results.

Attachments

• 20240526_200919[1].jpg
    20240526_200919[1].jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240526_200907[1].jpg
    20240526_200907[1].jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240526_200941[1].jpg
    20240526_200941[1].jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 6
If your even looking for a buffer their not that much. But it's always different but I tried that kit to buff my truck lights, really ticked me off. But look at the U-TUBE and see their posts I forget the mix but this one guy did a challenge with 3 different things the one took a while but there was one I tried for the heck of it after I got new lights, no biggie , but it worked nice. Not sure how long cause I threw out the light by mistake cleaning up but it's worth a shot.

Headlights and tail lights are frequently adapted from cars and trucks. There is some diesel pusher model in use now, that I have seen on a couple of occasions that use KIA Soul tail lights. Its a matter of putting the DOT number on the lens into Google and seeing what you get. Most I suspect use aftermarket lights so they may not have the OEM numbers on them.

Charles
I agree; it would be prohibitively expensive for a MH mfgr to design and have items special-made when the automotive world has so many ready-made parts.
Winnebago uses mainly excess Ford and GM parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom