Heated water hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

Is there a tried and true heated water hose?

We are going to be staying in camp grounds in Jan and Feb that don’t have full hookup where it could freeze so we won’t be able to let water trickle all night.

As Mark said, you can fill your fresh tank when temps get above freezing and use your pump… refilling on next warm day. We’ve done that. You want to drain the hose after filling the tank.

It’s not much fun and can get pretty cold when you inevitably get your hands wet. When we’ve been somewhere for more than a week that freezing temps are possible, we’ve used a heat tape wrapped around the hose (secured with duct or electrical tape) with good results. Of course, the hydrant you’re connected to needs to be freeze proof too.

Is there a tried and true heated water hose?
Not sure what would make it "tried & true". The heated hoses heat (as long as they have 120v power) but they are only good for a certain temperature range. The better brands will give a range, often well-below zero. They work ok.

The "tried & true" method, though, is the one the other replies described. No heated hose - just fill the RV's water tank and put the hose away until the next time you need more water. And refill the tank on a [relatively] warm afternoon.

The "tried & true" method, though, is the one the other replies described. No heated hose - just fill the RV's water tank and put the hose away until the next time you need more water. And refill the tank on a [relatively] warm afternoon.
We decided this is the tried and true method! Thanks again for the advice.

Depends on how cold it gets.
I took a standard white potable water hose
A string of incandescent Rope lights NOTE NOT LED must be incandescent. and a thermostatic outlet adapter oh and two rolls of patterened (Fancy) duct tape.
Tape the lights to the hose. plug in via the thermostatic plug adapter (Used for eves heat strips or stock tank heaters) and when the temps go down the hose lights up... The lights keep it warmer Used it several days in the 20's Never tried it colder.
Wrap extra lights around the park pipe or if you modify as I did by adding a standard outlet at the park end of the cable I plugged in a "Caged" 100 watt rough service lamp and set a big corrugated paper (Shipping) box over the park water tower to keep it warm as well.

I use a heated hose from camco you have to make sure the thermostat is exposed to the cold and the hydrant needs to be heated with heat tape and insulation to the ground.

I use them but the coldest we have camped with the heated hose is about 17D far. I got the current ones on Amazon. I use two , a short one from our Camco filter canister then the long one on the faucet. They have a long tail so you can wrap spigot or the canister

Back
Top Bottom