Height of Tow Veh. For Fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Tony

Mornin everyone. We just brought home our NEW Keystone SAB26 5er with the help of a good friend. I have narrowed my search of tow vehicles to 2 06 Chevy duramax crew cabs long beds. 1 of them is a dually,and the other is a single rear wheel which i prefer not only for the sleek look,and absence of that pregnant look in the rear, but it is pristeen with 65000 miles, just a beauty. My dilemma is it seems to be higher of the ground, (Beefed up suspension) i will measure later today when i finalize my decision. What are my remedies and adjustment possibilities? There  are 2 sets of holes on my pin hitch that i could raise, and having never owned a fifth wheel hitch before, how much adjustment is there available in them ie. distance from truck bed to seat plate. ?  Any input will be appreciated. Don't want to make too many costly mistakes. Thanks. Capt Tony 

On the hitch in the bed of the truck there are normally some adjustment holes where you can raise and lower the height of the hitch in return raising and lowering the front of the trailer and helping with bed rail clearance. There is probably adjustments on the trailer portion of the pin hitch as well.
Someone else will jump in and help you that knows more I'm sure. Welcome to the site.

Thank you Peanutman for your help. After some further research and just paying more attention, i found that the 3500 SRW has 22" steel rims and that was the reason it looked (is) higher than the 3500 dually with the stock rims and tires. After some measurements and discussion with the seller, we agreed on a price and he will include the stock chevy rims and 4 new Michelins(he keeps the 22's and tires). That should do it. Sadly i also need to remove the aftermarket  Bed Rail tubes that really added to the look of this truck. If i leave them on ,i would only have about 3 in.clearance between the rails and the underside of my Fifth wheel trailer.Without them, i have a good 6" ,and that is about what everyone says is a safe distance. Now all i need to get is my new hitch. I have narrowed that choice down to 2 also, and anyone who can help me decide that, i,m all EARS.  So far its between  http://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=RP30047&pc2=RP30035&hhmake=Chevrolet&hhmodel=Silverado&hhyear=2006&vehicleid=2006642443&hunter=5w][url]http://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=RP30047&pc2=RP30035&hhmake=Chevrolet&hhmodel=Silverado&hhyear=2006&vehicleid=2006642443&hunter=5w [/url]    or  this  one http://www.hitchsource.com/q5-fifth-wheel-hitch-20k-p-27673.html. Thanks again.  I will post my final choice when i decide, again, i,m new at all of this and open to suggestions from all of you "old timers"..

Congratulations and welcome to the site and to RVing!  I have the Curt Q5 and have had no issues with it.  It's the slider model for when I had my shortbed truck.  I now have a looooong bed and have never used the slider.  But still, it's a good hitch (heavy as all get out).  It does have some adjustment to it if you find you still need it.  There is no adjustment on my kingpin.  Luckily enough, when I traded trucks, everything fit just like it needed to in the new truck.

Have fun and keep us posted!

The hitch and pin box are both adjustable but you want at least 6" between the bed rail and the 5er.

Well, it has been a great week for me. Got my truck, and i am soo happy with it. :) 06 3500 SRW Duramax LT3 LBZ .....wow only 70k miles and it looks like showroom. Got my hitch installed.. I went with the Curt Q5 20k, because it adjusted down to 13" , and worked perfectly with the height of my truck bed and the setup on the 5er. Tropic Trailer in FT myers  had a better price than Camping world ,so they did the job.Got my Toolbox, Tire monitor system, portable air-compressor ,GPS, and  all my tools in order, and organized. Thanks to every one and the forum archives, library resources , i feel like i,m ready to go... NOW.

Sorry, to me your choice is the wrong one.  First, aftermarket tires/wheels likely altered the odometer reading.  Second the added strain to the drive train could cause problems in the future.  Third to get those wheels and tires under the truck the previous owner likely altered the suspension to make them fit.  If he altered the suspension it is very possible the springs will be weaker than the factory ones causing you to sag a lot under load.  While they look Kool to some when altered, personally I would not even consider an altered truck for any amount of money.

Thanks Donn for your concern. I can appreciate what you said in regards to mods to the suspension  etc. This is NOT the case on this truck. I bought what many of you affectionados would call a cream puff or maybe even a virgin. Without a doubt this is the most cared for truck i have ever seen.....The owners manual  has never been opened, as well as the tool kit and jack under the back seat. Not a scratch anywhere. I even got a lecture from the previous owner when i blindly put the key into the ignition switch for scratching the column..
I am ready to go, and we are off to the Ortona Locks , a  Army Corps RV site not far from home for our first trip to break er in. I ,ll report back to the forums after we get back.  So happy.....;.. :p) :D

Capt.Tony said:
The owners manual  has never been opened...

Maybe it is just me but I would not take that as a sign of great care.  I am sure that the truck is everything you hope it will be but opening the owners manual seems to me to be a sign of an owner who wants to learn about his vehicle and maintain it carefully and in accordance with the factory recommendations and specifications.  The low mileage is a HUGE plus, though.  Best of luck with that truck.  It sounds like an ideal 5er tow vehicle.

Ed

Greetings Fellow Rv ers. Just returned from our Maiden voyage in our new Cougar xlite  SAB26 . 1 word Fantastic. Everything worked perfectly  and without any problem what so ever. The truck pulled this unit like it was all downhill. The corps of engineer park was almost to good to be true. Perfect weather, good food and friends made the experience just that much better. I,m a HAPPY Camper..... Planned some further adventures for April and May for the Panhandle, Florida Caverns and St Joes Island. ...WOW.  Capt Tony.

Back
Top Bottom