Hello and Help! Filon Noooo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Longshot

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchase a 2008 Evolution E3 with the Filon roof. I am getting ready to coat the roof and have cleaned and removed the extruded aluminum trim which was loose. I have no idea what epoxy, or caulk to use to stick them back to the Filon. What ever Fleetwood used looks like a black caulk.

My Name is Robert, this is my story, and oh yeah winter is coming!

Thanks for any help in advance, and for having me.

The Evolution E3 is a hard-roof, fabric-sided pop-up, right? And the roof is basically a box covered with a filon sheet?

There are many adhesives made for bonding metal to fiberglass. Most two-part epoxy's work well, even good old JB Weld. 3M Panel Bond is the pro-grade epoxy for this sort of thing. Urethane structural adhesives are the more recent adhesive tech for this and supposedly even better, but I've not tried it.
A great place to learn about working with fiberglass and the products for doing so is at West Marine and their West System products.

The black caulk may be one of the Sikaflex brand metal-to-glass adhesives. They are one of the professional-grade brands and I've used Sikaflex P2G to edge-bond window glass to a frame and it withstands thousands of miles of shake, rattle and roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom