Hello everybody -- here I come with a problem . . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CityGuy

Joined about a half hour ago . . . problem is I can't get campground cable into my TV. I've tried, a couple of home TV guys fiddled, no success. Assume the cable from campground connection to the gizmo cabinet inside the coach is good. I have a flatscreen HDVT of uncertain age. Bought the coach 3 yrs ago, not that interested in TV but now that it doesn't work it's a challenge. Came with a Winguard thigamagig (technical idiot here) that switches among cable, satellite, and air and sends signal to various TVs (I've only got one). No signal. Bought another simpler, cheaper thigamig from BestBuys. No improvement. Was getting air TV by splicing the roof antenna lead directly in the TV but that's all. So -- do I need a whatchamacallet wifi router type of thing tied into some service, a hamster on a wheel, or might I have some other problem? I do know how to chance Source in the TV.

P.S.: store at a storage yard -- only cable access is campgrounds.

Never AssUMe anything. Has anything ever worked? If it used to work and suddenly stopped that would be one degree of issues (single point of failure), but like in my case things were AFU from the day I got it, and I had to tear into the wet bay and the cabinetry behind the TV to resolve it (multiple points of failure). Determined that the previous owner had some cable or satellite setup and when they sold the RV they removed boxes and just left cables hanging, and I had to ring out each cable run to establish where they went. Kind of a PITA but I got it all working again. For someone that may not consider TV all that worthwhile then spending quality time with a cable tester (I used a channel 3 video modulator) and tracing signal paths likely doesn't rise to the degree of attention span it requires, but that's what it might take unless you get lucky and it's something simple/stupid. From a basic troubleshooting perspective, divide and conquer. Like you were able to establish your roof antenna functional you build upon that, connecting to and functionally verifying additional connections as you go.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Never AssUMe anything. Has anything ever worked? If it used to work and suddenly stopped that would be one degree of issues (single point of failure), but like in my case things were AFU from the day I got it, and I had to tear into the wet bay and the cabinetry behind the TV to resolve it (multiple points of failure). Determined that the previous owner had some cable or satellite setup and when they sold the RV they removed boxes and just left cables hanging, and I had to ring out each cable run to establish where they went. Kind of a PITA but I got it all working again. For someone that may not consider TV all that worthwhile then spending quality time with a cable tester (I used a channel 3 video modulator) and tracing signal paths likely doesn't rise to the degree of attention span it requires, but that's what it might take unless you get lucky and it's something simple/stupid. From a basic troubleshooting perspective, divide and conquer. Like you were able to establish your roof antenna functional you build upon that, connecting to and functionally verifying additional connections as you go.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Good advice for someone who doesn't wish he could return to rotary dial phones and manual typewriters. I know how to diagnose/repair a Studebaker overdrive, but I have to consult my daughter-in-law to get the TV off Menu. The rooftop antenna delivered a decent image before installing the new thigamig and was better after, up to the point I had to unplug the TV to shut it down, but no luck on the cable.

Did you toggle the power switch on the antenna box? With most TV setups in RVs, the antenna needs power for its amplifier but that also switches the cable feed off. Turning that power off lets the cable connection come through.

Common issues NOTE Some shoudl not apply to NEW RVs.

One.. Multiple outside cable connections (one is labeled SAT one Cable) may be swapped.
Two: Prior owner disconnected cable and used it for SAT cable.. did not restore or Factory forgot to hook it up.
Three: Cable broke (happened to me never did find the break)
Four. Cable stapled in place.> RIGHT THROUGH THE CABLE (seen it happen to others)
Five: Motorola service center once ordered 8 jumpers. out of 8 jumpers they found 16 shorts. Had that happen to my umbonal for towing my car too.

Now on to operator errors
FIrst there is a switch.. USUALLY it's a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet at the top. an antenna connector at the bottom a switch and an LED This is your power inserter for your mast head amplifier in the Over the Air antenna AND the OTA/Cable switch.. LED must be off (And turn it on to make sure fuse is not blown)
Seen one used rig where the cables had been ripped away from this switch
The alternate switch is a "Box of many buttons" (Matrix switch) if you have one it explains itself.

Finally the TV must be set to cable.
And last
Not all cable can be decoded without a "Set top box" this is not the Campgrounds. fault (Generally) unless it's one very very very big campground they just deliver what the cable company delivers.. I know of exactly one that decripts it first.

Suggestion.> Run cable straight to TV from Park jack
OH I have seen bad park jack.

Did you toggle the power switch on the antenna box? With most TV setups in RVs, the antenna needs power for its amplifier but that also switches the cable feed off. Turning that power off lets the cable connection come through.
Thanks, but yes, ?X times

Common issues NOTE Some shoudl not apply to NEW RVs.

One.. Multiple outside cable connections (one is labeled SAT one Cable) may be swapped.
Two: Prior owner disconnected cable and used it for SAT cable.. did not restore or Factory forgot to hook it up.
Three: Cable broke (happened to me never did find the break)
Four. Cable stapled in place.> RIGHT THROUGH THE CABLE (seen it happen to others)
Five: Motorola service center once ordered 8 jumpers. out of 8 jumpers they found 16 shorts. Had that happen to my umbonal for towing my car too.

Now on to operator errors
FIrst there is a switch.. USUALLY it's a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet at the top. an antenna connector at the bottom a switch and an LED This is your power inserter for your mast head amplifier in the Over the Air antenna AND the OTA/Cable switch.. LED must be off (And turn it on to make sure fuse is not blown)
Seen one used rig where the cables had been ripped away from this switch
The alternate switch is a "Box of many buttons" (Matrix switch) if you have one it explains itself.

Finally the TV must be set to cable.
And last
Not all cable can be decoded without a "Set top box" this is not the Campgrounds. fault (Generally) unless it's one very very very big campground they just deliver what the cable company delivers.. I know of exactly one that decripts it first.

Suggestion.> Run cable straight to TV from Park jack
OH I have seen bad park jack.
Thankee, Sir. The campbround did have two fittings but they came from the same cable, but I think we were in a buddy slot) two meters, two shorepower boxes, two sewer connections, so I'm assuming the two were the same signal in for two RVs to connect.
'
Up in the cabinet there are three labeled cables for antenna (roof, and used successfully), cable, and satellite, so no mixup there.

I've made a possibly inaccurate resistance read through the Rv's exposed cable but I should do a more certain one. Obviously don't know about the campground's cable but it's a very well-maintained upscale outfit.

The "Motorola factor" is likely. I'm Murphy's favorite lab rat. Ever hear of a brand new Rule bilge pump float switch shorting out to the bilge water and draining the batteries? Neither has anybody else.

No such wall switch. This is an '06 Monaco. I don't know the wire path to the antenna. Two "boxes of many buttons" have been hooked up and used; no results.

My computer Guru used to be in the RV business and suggested going straight into the TV. Will try that the next time we're in a campground with cable (RV is in a storage lot and due to fuel prices we don't travel much.)

But what I think I need is the thigamabob that somes with a home subscription serivce. Or maybe that's satellite. Bring back rotary dial phones ~~

Thanks for asking, but yes, many times.

When things don't work, start simple. So, simply run a dedicated coax cable directly from the campground supplied cable hook-up and the other end plugged directly into your television. Bypass everything in your trailer. First things first.... does the campground supplied cable connection ACTUALLY have cable working? Does the campground have an old-school system that requires a converter box so you can run cable off channel 2 or 3 on your television?

If you can get cable on your television this way, then at least you know the television is working correctly. It's a simple starting point.

Arch -- Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I plan to do at the next opportunity (at a campground with cable -- none at home or where we store the coach).

This is an '06 Monaco. I don't know the wire path to the antenna. Two "boxes of many buttons" have been hooked up and used; no results.
Had a similar issue with our 2003 Monaco DP. Despite my engineering (including TV) background, I couldn't figure out that box of many buttons (actually, two of them). A completely non-technical friend figured it out, and I had TV. Finally got to a Monaco service center and had them rewire the whole thing.

Thankee, Sir. The campbround did have two fittings but they came from the same cable, but I think we were in a buddy slot) two meters, two shorepower boxes, two sewer connections, so I'm assuming the two were the same signal in for two RVs to connect.
'
Shen I said two cable connections I meant on the RV not the park
But anothber thing On my Class A I found multiple barrel connectors (Splices basically) in the park cable. .I fixed a couple of 'em but never did find the failure.
I ended up running cable direct to the matrix switch (You can also run to the TV)
Also make sure the TV is in CABLE mode not OTA mode. Different decoder and other things.

Had a similar issue with our 2003 Monaco DP. Despite my engineering (including TV) background, I couldn't figure out that box of many buttons (actually, two of them). A completely non-technical friend figured it out, and I had TV. Finally got to a Monaco service center and had them rewire the whole thing.
May I have your friend's address?

(at a campground with cable -- none at home or where we store the coach)
Not wanting to depend on an external source of unknown amplitude, that's why I used a TV channel 3 modulator as a signal source. It's got an F connector on it and runs off 9VDC, so it was trivial to put it on a battery and plug and unplug it wherever to ring out cables and check switch boxes. Provides a definitive go/no go RF test end to end. A couple of long-ish RG-6 test cables and the modulator along with the TV's that are already there was all I needed to verify all the cabling and routing in my RV.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark, you're so far over my Newtonian mind I'll never absorb the benefit of your knowledge -- but I think I understand that a TV doesn't have to be connected to cable in order to test the mysteries of a cable signal, that there are devices which can imitate an actual signal?

Remember back in the days of "video games" and computers you'd hook up to your TV set as a monitor? The output of the game or computer was composite video and the RF modulator allowed that to be viewed on TV channel 3 (or 4). It's basically a little TV transmitter in a box. Strong enough to get through a few dozen feet of a cable but not so strong as to leak around marginal switch boxes or bad connections. You can still find them on places like amazon or ebay, nominally $20. You don't need a video source, when you tune in channel 3 (or 4) all you'll get is a blank screen but that's the signal you're looking for. When it's not there you get the olden daze snow, or some TV's overlay that with a blue screen and maybe a NO SIGNAL indicator. Part of the diagnostic menu of LCD TV's these days is a signal strength indicator (like a cell phone bar graph) and that can also be used to quantitatively measure or compare signal levels. Cable and satellite use much higher frequencies and sometimes are not directly receivable by a standard TV (need the RX or cable box) so having a simple signal source receivable by any TV eliminates some testing variables.

RF MODULATOR RFMODR0-24 A/V VIDEO TV CONVERTER DIRECTV DISH NETWORK CABLE TV NEW | eBay

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Remember back in the days of "video games" and computers you'd hook up to your TV set as a monitor? The output of the game or computer was composite video and the RF modulator allowed that to be viewed on TV channel 3 (or 4). It's basically a little TV transmitter in a box. Strong enough to get through a few dozen feet of a cable but not so strong as to leak around marginal switch boxes or bad connections. You can still find them on places like amazon or ebay, nominally $20. You don't need a video source, when you tune in channel 3 (or 4) all you'll get is a blank screen but that's the signal you're looking for. When it's not there you get the olden daze snow, or some TV's overlay that with a blue screen and maybe a NO SIGNAL indicator. Part of the diagnostic menu of LCD TV's these days is a signal strength indicator (like a cell phone bar graph) and that can also be used to quantitatively measure or compare signal levels. Cable and satellite use much higher frequencies and sometimes are not directly receivable by a standard TV (need the RX or cable box) so having a simple signal source receivable by any TV eliminates some testing variables.

RF MODULATOR RFMODR0-24 A/V VIDEO TV CONVERTER DIRECTV DISH NETWORK CABLE TV NEW | eBay

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks again, Mark. That's almost at my understanding threshold. I'll look on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom