Hello from Alabama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crimson_tiders

Newlyweds as of 3 years ago.  We just purchased our first TT and have been hitting the road.  We have been TIVO'ing (recording) some great RV shows and would like to come to a rally sometime.    It looks like we JUST missed the SE Rally.  How can we be sure to not miss the next one in our area???

Also - looking for some good advice on "leveling".  We were at the AL vs. LSU game this weekend & we were parked a bit unlevel.  We have read NEVER to use the stabilizer jacks to level.  I suppose it would be best to get the wheels level - any feedback on what to use, etc. for this situation?

2003 27ft Trail Bay w/ Ford F-150
No kids - just the two of us doing it BEFORE we retire!

:)

It looks like we JUST missed the SE Rally.  How can we be sure to not miss the next one in our area???

Click on the calendar button for information on upcoming rallies.  We would welcome your attendance at the rallies.

Normally if leveling jacks are not an option leveling can be accomplished by placing wood or the plastic leveling blocks under the tires as necessary.

Travel trailers are leveled fore and aft by raising or lowering the hitch jack.? ?They are leveled left to right by the use of wood 2x8 blocks, or more conveniently by the use of interlocking plastic blocks.? ?In modern trailers the level need only be approximate.? The language that Dometic used in my fridge's manual was to level the trailer till it is "comfortable".

I have found that of the plastic leveling blocks, two 10-block packs is sufficient to raise my trailer's tandem wheels 3 inches which has proved adequate to handle all the sites I have been in over the past 10 years.? If the site is so bad that cannot do it, find another site.? ?Do be sure that the tires are squarely on the blocks and do not lap over either on the side or fore or aft.

crimson_tiders said:
Newlyweds as of 3 years ago.? ?We just purchased our first TT and have been hitting the road.? ?We have been TIVO'ing (recording) some great RV shows and would like to come to a rally sometime.? ? It looks like we JUST missed the SE Rally.? ?How can we be sure to not miss the next one in our area???

Also - looking for some good advice on "leveling".? ?We were at the AL vs. LSU game this weekend & we were parked a bit unlevel.? We have read NEVER to use the stabilizer jacks to level.? ?I suppose it would be best to get the wheels level - any feedback on what to use, etc. for this situation?

2003 27ft Trail Bay w/ Ford F-150
No kids - just the two of us doing it BEFORE we retire!

:)

Hello Crimson Tiders -- and welcome to our forum. Always glad to see backers of the SEC. Did you guys go to school at Alabama?

About 100 or so years ago, I graduated from Kentucky -- and am, of course, a devote Kentucky basketball fan. You probably were not even alive then, but when I attended UK they actually "did" have a good football team. Did you know that Bear Bryant was coaching then a UK? That should tell you how far back I go. ?;D

Many of us here on the forum TIVO as well. I buy the DirecTV college basketball package so as to not miss any Kentucky games. If they are playing, I pull over, wherever, and watch the game. TIVO is especially nice for this. My only mistake was just after getting the DVR that I had it record "on time" -- and the first game I watched went to a triple overtime. ?:(

Leveling a trailer or 5th wheel is not the difficult after you have done it a few times - as with most RVing stuff. First, I would decide on where and what kind of leveling indicators to use. You'll need one for fore and aft, and one for side to side. Some will mount them just behind tongue jack or in that area. Actually, we want the Frig level vs. the RV -- unless the frig is really out of level with the rig. So you may want to place the level indicators according to a level frig. Another indicator for me is the frig door. I leave it open to make sure it does not swing either way.

To level front to back, use the tongue jack -- then place chocks (2x6's or special deals from Camping World are popular) under either side wheels to level from side to side. When I had a trailer and then a 5thW, I would level side to side first -- then front to back. ?And yes, the stabilizers are not to be used to level -- tho you will be tempted to fine tune your level with them.

Again, welcome to the RVForum.

Welcome to RV Forum. Too bad you missed the recent SE Fall Rally, but there will be another in the Spring  (see the Rallys & Events section for more info). 

Between now and then, rallies occur whenever someone travels take them to another's town or to nearby campgrounds.  We call them mini rallies (or even micro rallies) because there may be only 2-3 rigs gathered, but size is not a measure of the fun.  Chances are someone will pass near Birmingham and you can invite them to stop by your place or meet for lunch at a local restaurant.  These things often get arranged right here on the forum - if you see that somebody is crossing the south, maybe headed for FLorida or South Texas for the winter, just throw out an invite to meet them somewhere.  IT'S THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THE FUN.

Back
Top Bottom