Hello from GA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockstar

Hello everyone. I'm Josh and I'm about 45 mins outside of Atlanta, GA. I came here to learn about class "c" and class "a" motorhomes as I am looking into buying my first one. The model I am currently looking at is a 1987 Georgie Boy Cruise Master LM class a on a ford chassis. any input would be great and I'm looking forward to getting on the road with my wife and kids. Thanks

Hi Josh and welcome. Hopefully someone with experience/knowledge of Georgie Boy will have some input for you.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions that you might have relating to RV/s.  I'm sure someone here with information on the Georgie Boy will be able to provide you with the information you want.  Thanks for joining us.

Georgie Boy Cruise Masters are popular and I see quite a few on the road but I'm afraid I have no wisdom to offer concerning them. It's not a brand that we hear much about here - which may be good news, since people are more likely to write in with complaints than with praise! The Ford chassis is generally reliable, though in an 1987 you are dealing with a generaltion of engine and transmission that were, shall we say, somewhat short of ideal.    The 1980's was not a great era for motorhome drive trains and you should not expect a lot in terms of fuel economy or power.    I would really recommend you look for a newer model if you can - early 90's motorhomes would be a better choice and should not be much more expensive. The prices pretty much bottom out after 12-15 years and older motorhomes without slides have all become low priced.

Thanks everyone. I have been lurking around and trying to search on this model but can't find a lot. as with any one as a first time RV buyer I was looking for something low buck and that is what I found. This 87 motor home is in running condition and has been used a time or two by it's current owner but he has not had it very long. he only bought it because of the price and now says he has needs the money more than the good deal. he is a friend of the family so to speak. I would be able to get into this one for about $2000. I would love to have a newer model and the power and capability of this 87 kinda has me worried weather or not it will be able to do what I want it to. I would like to be able to tow my jeep on it's drive on car hauler to the off road events that my wife and I go to. I have looked at the Gale Banks power packages for it to help some. well I've rambled on long enough. Thanks.

Well, these days anything that runs ought to be worth $2000. StTll, you could easily end up spending a lot of money to rehabilitiate it.

Towing your Jeep on its trailer may be beyond the Cruisemaster's capability. The hitch and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) rating on this age and model of RV are likely to restrict you to a max of 3000-4000 lbs.  You could tow the Jeep with its wheels on the ground but the weight of the trailer may push you over the limits. You would definitely need brakes on the trailer.  Do you know the weight of Jeep & trailer?  It may be hard to find the ratings for the Cruisemaster but maybe another owner could supply them if you hunt around online.

Hi,

This may not be a great deal of help, but I have a georgie boy lean machine from 1987 and can tow a truck bed trailer with two full sized motorcycles with no problems whatsoever. It has enough torque that you can't even tell the trailer is there. I just got to Washington from Colorado with absolutely no issues with a total weight of almost 16,000lbs. of course my mileage was less than 7MPG... hope that helps some at least.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom