Hello from Lynchburg, VA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KngNothg

Hello everyone!

My name is Rob. I recently bought my first RV, a 2003 Sunrise Itasca 32V. It has a few kinks but I am looking forward to fixing them (RV will not go into reverse and roof needs to be replaced).

I will search the forum to find information regarding the 4L85E transmission and leave the roof replacement to a local shop.

I have 3 littles, 7, 6, and 5 years old. They're looking forward to road trips this summer!

Take care everyone!

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to RVForum!

Good luck with that 2003 Itasca Sunrise - it's a darn nice coach when everything is working right. But you are facing two highly-expensive repairs, i.e. a new roof and a tranny rebuild.

I have to wonder if it really needs a whole new roof. The original is fiberglass so problems are most often failures along the edge seams rather than the roof itself. It's unusual to need to replace it entirely. I suggest you post some photos of the roof and whatever info you have about it so we can help you figure out the best approach to repairs.

Hi Gary.

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, the roof has came apart on both sides (long sides) of the RV and have split during transportation (I bought it from an auction). It is worth mentioning the skylight over the shower needs replacing as the outer shell is broken. On the transmission side, I've ran across a few videos talking about a rod (Low / Reverse Auto Trans Band Servo Piston Pin 8RJD29) that will engage the reverse band. Over time, the rod gets shorter due to contact and simply will not engage. It is a simple process to verify the length of the rod. I am mechanically inclined so I will be performing this check this evening.

Here is a link to the video that discusses the potential fix on a 4L80E and should be the same for the 4L85E.

Short video:

an more in-depth video:

I will upload pictures of the roof when I get the opportunity to take off the massive tarp.

-Rob

Find a shop that has a track record with WBO roofs, its a complex task to get it right.

The Youtube channel AZExpert is truly an expert on these roofs and you need to watch his videos to learn more. Look in his playlists.

here is his playlist for replacing winnebago fiberglass roofs, 26 videos.Replacing fiberglass roofs

There is a process where the edge of the roof is sealed down in the channel so it cannot come out, I used urethane sealant (similar to windshield sealant) to seal mine. I have the document on the computer, just gotta find it. Pic shows where, but I have a document that explains it in detail. Found it, attached,

Charles

Attachments

• Roof edge sealing.jpg
    Roof edge sealing.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Roof+Sealant+Mod.png
    Roof+Sealant+Mod.png
    499 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Find a shop that has a track record with WBO roofs, its a complex task to get it right.

The Youtube channel AZExpert is truly an expert on these roofs and you need to watch his videos to learn more. Look in his playlists.

here is his playlist for replacing winnebago fiberglass roofs, 26 videos.Replacing fiberglass roofs

There is a process where the edge of the roof is sealed down in the channel so it cannot come out, I used urethane sealant (similar to windshield sealant) to seal mine. I have the document on the computer, just gotta find it. Pic shows where, but I have a document that explains it in detail. Found it, attached,

Charles
Thanks for the suggestion. I've watched a number of videos from AZExpert. He puts out great videos!

Update on transmission:

Upon draining the fluid, I could smell a very distinct burnt smell. While the internals look bright and shiny, it does have me concerned. Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the "bowl" due to the valve body being in the way. I believe it was engineered as such that you have to remove the valve body to remove the bowl. I did take a few pictures. It looks like I'll be removing the transmission this weekend.

I know this thread has taken a turn from an introduction to a problem thread, so If I need to delete these posts and move them elsewhere, I certainly will.

Attachments

• 1000007515.jpg
    1000007515.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000007539.jpg
    1000007539.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000007541.jpg
    1000007541.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000007543.jpg
    1000007543.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to Forums!

We are from the Sunshine State of Florida, on Florida's west coast.
We H.L., Jan, and our RV a 2021 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3.

Back
Top Bottom