Hello from San Antonio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfahey415

Greetings.  My wife and I just picked up our first RV on Wednesday of this week.  Our plan is to enjoy the areas around San Antonio for the first year and then possibly upgrade to a motor home at a later date. 

The current rig is a 36' Surveyor SV-301.  A big trailer for first timers to be sure. 

We have owned several boats over the years with our last one being a 56' houseboat.  That is what probably drove us to get such a large trailer as our first rig.  There were just some things about this trailer that we really liked and felt we would regret if we didn't get them.

I am a noob and am here to learn.

Bill

Hello Bill and welcome to The RV Forum.

The knowledge you gained with your boats will pretty much transfer to RVs.  And I don't need to tell you how much fun you are about to have.  there is a lot to see in Texas, and a whole lot more throughout the rest of the US. 

Our library has a lot of information that should be useful and other forum members are here to answer questions of offer advice...... we enjoy doing that.

I urge you to participate in our on-line discussions as it is a good way to make friends with other RVers.

Welcome aboard!

Bill,

Welcome the the forum!!

Not far from you, there is Garner State Park. We hosted there for 4 months last year. The old CCC buildings and the Saturday night dance are traditions. Many people are multi-generations users of the park. The Axis deer and several other exotic antelopes run free in the park. You can go into Uvalde and see just how little respect vice-presidents get.

Enjoy your travels!!

Greetings Bill.  I did my first year of RVing around there.  Then I moved to the Houston area.  We lived in SA for 11 years though.  As said above, Garner is a place not to miss.  The Frio river is awesome.  And don't miss exploring around Fredricksburg and the Bastrop area either.  Lots of good stuff around there.  Welcome to the board.

Welcome to the forum Bill. Don't forget the coast and Galveston Island I like Galveston island state park. To many places up and down the coast to mention all of them.
Bill

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.  ;D  We are all set for the holiday weekend.  Staying in nearby Boerne, TX which also happens to be the little town my wife and I got married in.  We figured it would be good to have the first weekend on the rig nearby so we could work through any issues and learn.  (There is also a Wal-Mart nearby)  Also, getting reservations on such short notice proved to be difficult.

Our first venture to Garner SP will most likely be in the fall when it cools down a bit.

I'd love to find a map with all the local RV parks on it, draw a 4 hour circle around San Antonio and spend the next year checking out the parks that fall within that circle.

Bill

Hello Bill!

This site lists lots of RV parks by state, then by city.      http://www.wheelersguides.com/index.cfm

What is your tow vehicle?  RVs tend to be much heavier than boats.

wfahey415 said:
Greetings.  My wife and I just picked up our first RV on Wednesday of this week.  Our plan is to enjoy the areas around San Antonio for the first year and then possibly upgrade to a motor home at a later date. 

The current rig is a 36' Surveyor SV-301.  A big trailer for first timers to be sure. 

We have owned several boats over the years with our last one being a 56' houseboat.  That is what probably drove us to get such a large trailer as our first rig.  There were just some things about this trailer that we really liked and felt we would regret if we didn't get them.

I am a noob and am here to learn.

Bill

We are San Antonio Noobs too!!  Just bought our first motorhome.  Our first trip was to Chalk Bluff Park and we recently went to Mustang Island State Park too  Although there are a lot of mosquitos there right now.  Good luck on your first trip in your new TT!!

grashley said:
Hello Bill!

This site lists lots of RV parks by state, then by city.      http://www.wheelersguides.com/index.cfm

What is your tow vehicle?  RVs tend to be much heavier than boats.

Trailer is 7400 pounds empty.  I have both an F-150 that can haul 11,000 pounds and an F-350 (SRW) that can tow 14,000 pounds.

didimitten said:
We are San Antonio Noobs too!!  Just bought our first motorhome.  Our first trip was to Chalk Bluff Park and we recently went to Mustang Island State Park too  Although there are a lot of mosquitos there right now.  Good luck on your first trip in your new TT!!

Nice to have someone local to share ideas and stories with. 

Back
Top Bottom