Hello Just bought my first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickas

Just purchased our first RV a 1989 Champion Telstar Class C ;D. Bought online and flew to Vegas and brought Miss Daisy(wifes nickname) home to Vancouver Island. Have been researching on line and hope to learn all about RVing from the experts on this and other forums.  ;D

Rickas said:
Just purchased our first RV a 1989 Champion Telstar Class C ;D. Bought online and flew to Vegas and brought Miss Daisy(wifes nickname) home to Vancouver Island. Have been researching on line and hope to learn all about RVing from the experts on this and other forums.? ;D

Welcome to the RV Forum Rickas and Daisy.  Congratulations on the new to you Champion.  I'm sure you will have some very enjoyable tavel experiences.  You have come to the right place for answers to any of your questions regarding the RVing lifesyle.  Please feel free to join in any of the discussions or start  discussion.  There is a wealth of experience amoungst the Framily here and they are willing to share this information.  We hope to get to meet you someday.

Hi Rick,

Congratulations on your first RV.

I don't know where you are on the island, but we're in Sechelt, across the Straits from Nanaimo.  We're booked at Weir's Beach on the Island for ten days at the beginning of April.

We bought our 1990 Winnebago, our first RV, two years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it since.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi, Rick. I am in the same situation. Just bought my first RV and am chomping at the bit to get out on the road. I will be able to spend a week next week at a local campground for a checkout run, and hope to get out this summer for at least a couple of months.

You have come to the right place, this is a great bunch of folks here at the RV Forum.

Don

Hi Rick

A few of us will be headed to Vancouver this August. Maybe we could have a mini rally there (?)

Welcome to the RV Forum Rickas and Daisy!  There is a wealth of information among our Forum members, so post your questions here.  If you need more info on navigating the Forum let us know so we can help.

After you've had an opportunity to look around, please respond to our poll

Rickas said:
Just purchased our first RV a 1989 Champion Telstar Class C ;D. Bought online and flew to Vegas and brought Miss Daisy(wifes nickname) home to Vancouver Island. Have been researching on line and hope to learn all about RVing from the experts on this and other forums. ;D

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We're happy to see that you have found us.  I'm sure that you will find a wealth of information here from our members who have a broad spectrum of knowledge and experience in the RVing world.  Feel free to ask your questions or to jump into any on-going discussion or start one of your own.

Welcome aboard, Rickas, and congratulations on adding Miss Daisy to your family. 

We have some other active members in your region as well, so keep an eye out for them and maybe you can meet up somewhere.  Look for Doug Jardine and Colette Cashmore. The Cashmore's are currently wintering in Mexico but are from the Vancouver City area.

Rickas said:
Just purchased our first RV a 1989 Champion Telstar Class C ;D. Bought online and flew to Vegas and brought Miss Daisy(wifes nickname) home to Vancouver Island. Have been researching on line and hope to learn all about RVing from the experts on this and other forums.  ;D

Welcome to the forum! You will certainly get all the answers you need on this forum. Many are full timers with lots of great information to impart upon anyone willing to listen. ;D

Don

It's not an official rally per se, but there'll be a group of 3-5 rigs leaving CA around Aug 5-6. I have an appointment in Jinction City Aug 8 (approx 1-2 hours). My next appointment is back in Junction City on Aug 26 (1 day). In between these dates we'll be visiting various locations in Oregon, Washington and BC (Vancouver). No specific places or dates other than the two appointments I mentioned. If we can hook up along the way, great. If not, maybe next time.

I have to set up an appointment at school some time during August and was just looking for a general time frame. It would be nice to hook up with you guys if possible.

don

Give us approximate dates and places for your availability, and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks for the welcomes. Doug we are in Parksville(French Creek to be precise) just across the big pond  from Sechelt. Have two brothers living in Gibsons. Mini rally in August sounds good to us too. Will keep an eye on here to see where and when its happening. Took our maiden voyage on  the Island to Long Beach as Barb(my wife) has not been there before. It was great and Miss Daisy performed admirably. We ran out of propane and got new tank full(sharp intake of breath on cost of filling propane tank :eek:) and stove and hot water tank would still not operate until wife remembered that seller had told us that you had to reset the LP detector.  :-[  Gotta read those manuals cover to cover.

Yeah, I know French Creek, although it's been years since I've been to that part of the island.  My wife's aunt lived in Parksville for years; she died some years ago and we've stopped going over--although I do get over to Victoria reasonably often.

Glad to hear that Ms. Daisy performed admirably.  So, how big is that propane tank?  Did you run your furnace a lot?

Ciao,

Doug

Doug we had used the propane on our trip to bring Miss Daisy back from Vegas and yes we had used the propane heater for a few hours a couple of nights as we did not really  have proper bedding. I now know that the heater uses a lot of propane and have purchased a small electric one. I beleve our tank is a 30 pounder and it was $53 bucks to fill it up in Tofino.

I now know that the heater uses a lot of propane and have purchased a small electric one. I beleve our tank is a 30 pounder and it was $53 bucks to fill it up in Tofino.

Rick, I don't recall what sort of rig Miss Daisy is, but if you're quoting propane in pounds, does that mean the propane tank is an external, portable one?

I looked up my last propane purchase here in Sechelt--in February--and it was about $10 for about 10 liters.

We run an electric heater when we are plugged in--in fact, with the rig parked and plugged in in our drive way, we leave an electric heater on.  When it was much cooler in January, we had two heaters: one in the front space and one in the bedroom at the back.

So, when's the next trip?

Ciao,

Doug

Hi Rick,

I don't think in this forum you can go in and correct your post if it has not yet been read ???, but I need to correct my previous post.  It was about 17 liters for $10.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom