Hello - new to RVing, help please identify this inside the water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrt2360

Hi everyone, I'm new to RVing but slowly I'm learning new things on my 1990 Fleetwood Flair motorhome. For example on the 6-gallon Atwood water heater there is this switch with wires and one wire hook to where I light the propane gas.  I have not used this, currently it is switched to the 'off' side. Please identify if this is an after market added on or part of the heater? An electric pilot igniter?  I don't see any water heater switch inside the motorhome.  This is an old RV so I'm sure there is no remote ignition. Thank you! See attached pic. 

Attachments

• atwood_water_heater_gaslighter.jpg
    atwood_water_heater_gaslighter.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
that wire is one of two things, a spark wire, or a flame sensor wire.  It looks like it is the spark electrode for the ignition system.  You say in your post that you light the gas.  Is there a standing pilot?  If you get the model and serial  number, you can probably get info from Atwood online.  Good luck, Beau

beau2x said:
that wire is one of two things, a spark wire, or a flame sensor wire.  It looks like it is the spark electrode for the ignition system.  You say in your post that you light the gas.  Is there a standing pilot?  If you get the model and serial  number, you can probably get info from Atwood online.  Good luck, Beau

After I read your post, I googled "RV gasliter ignition", the 'gasliter' word is on the unit label.  Google showed me a company 'gasliter.com'. I emailed their tech support and here is their reply - "That is the ignition switch. The gas feeds into the ignition switch to produce the pilot light."

Hehehe, I'm still a bit fuzzy about it.  Yup, when I first used the water heater, I did the following:
1) switch on the LP monitor inside the motorhome, waited for beeps then solid blinking light
2) Went outside, hooked the water source, made sure a lot of water coming out of the hot-water faucet
3) Open LP gas cover, turn-on LP gas knob
4) Went back to heater, turn heater blue knob to pilot and hold it while I lit the pilot light using bbq lighter
5) Once pilot is solid, I switched the blue knob to 'on' position,  I made a mistake being curious
    I got my face too close looking at the burner, then a ball of flame shoot out, good thing I was quick to
    back off - whew
6) Closed the heater door.  I never bother to turn to 'on' position this ignition switch. Did not noticed
    this unit until draining the tank days later.

Here's another pic of this switch.

Attachments

• ignition_switch.jpg
    ignition_switch.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
I think it's a electronic igniter. You may not need to use a BBQ lighter. When you hold the blue knob in the pilot position, cycle this switch. I think you'll hear a series of clicking coming from the igniter. Once the pilot lights and you release the blue knob, the burner should light.,

Back
Top Bottom