Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertsrv

Hello, My name is Robert. I traveled in a 24' class C motorhome for a year with my family of 5 in 2000. We loved it. I have since sold that rig and I am looking for another. I consider myself to still be a novice RV'er and have some questions. When do you think is the best time of year to buy a used class A rv? Diesel or gas - which would you choose and why?
Glad to be part of this forum and I look forward to your responses.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert,

Glad to have you with us.

There are a lot of people who have traded/upgraded to newer, bigger motorhomes that are more knowledgeable than I, but I think it depends a lot on your buying location and time of purchase. For example, many snowbirds will spend the winter in the southwest and then put their rigs up for sale at a good price before returing to their northern habitats in the spring; but others may sell in the autumn months, having spent their vacations in the northern regions. Place and timing are quite important. I'm sure someone else will jump in and add their knowledge to this topic.

When you state used, you don't give info as to what you want to spend.  This varies greatly into what type and year can be purchased for the amount you want to spend.  Example, I refuse to buy new, cause so many of the fine units have hardly been used.  I try to upgrade in 5 year increments.  We went from a 83 (28') to a 88 (32') to a 93 (34') to a 98 to a 98 (37').  Each time we found something we liked a little better than the last.  Now we don't put that many miles on a unit, maybe this one has 32000, but we're looking toward a 2003 and 40'/    It's all in you own perspective as to what you want and the means in which you have to pay for this luxary lifestyle.  And as for as a good deal is concerned, no one knows and no one can be your judge is the purchase.  Their opinions help certainly but everyone's useage and lifestyle is different. And only after you have finished using the product you select, will you know if you got a good deal or not.  If you were happy then it's a good deal, dissatisfied,  bad deal.  You can buy cheap and spend much on repairs, not good.  Buy high, spend much on repairs, worse deal. Buy at decent price and be happy ---great deal.  Good luck and happy motoring.  See Ya around.

Robert,

As has been mentioned, timing your purchase depends on where you live.  In the north, the time to buy is in the latter part of the summer or in the Fall.  Dealers don't want to carry inventory through the winter and individuals who made the decision to sell, would likely decide after the summer's use. 

In the south and west where RV usage is pretty much year round, you would want to inquire how long a particular rig has been on the market.

Buying a used motorhome requires a thorough inspection by a competent technician, which would apply even more to a diesel coach.  It's not unusual for motorhomes to be poorly maintained, and  the neglect would result in repairs five to eight years after the rig went on th road.

If you can find a coach you like being sold by the original owner who can provide you with credible service records, you would have the best chance for success.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  I see others have already posted some comments to your inquiry.  Thanks for joining us.

Back
Top Bottom