Hello.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rod

My wife and I are relatively new to the RV scene, but have been wishing and reading for years.
We're planning a year trip which is to begin in the spring of '08.  We are in Southern Ontario.  We want to head up around the Soo to Thunder Bay, then cut down into Minnesota.  From there, through the Dakotas to Montana/Wyoming, then up into Alberta/B.C.  Late in the fall we want to head down the west coast of California and then east across the Southern States for the winter.

We've never done anything like this before, so if there are people out there who's brains I can pick, that'd be GREAT!

Thanx

Rod

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the RV Forum .  Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the on going discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions. 

Sounds like you have some great trips planned.  This is the place to get answers to any questions,

Thanks for joining us.

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip which will only make you want to do more. Ask any questions you may have.

Hi Rod. A couple of places you could check for some reading material:

Meanwhile, feel free to ask any questions and we'll try to get them answered.

Rod said:
My wife and I are relatively new to the RV scene, but have been wishing and reading for years.
We're planning a year trip which is to begin in the spring of '08.? We are in Southern Ontario.? We want to head up around the Soo to Thunder Bay, then cut down into Minnesota.? From there, through the Dakotas to Montana/Wyoming, then up into Alberta/B.C.? Late in the fall we want to head down the west coast of California and then east across the Southern States for the winter.

Some general thoughts about CA coast travel in the month of October.  One caveat is stay off the North California stretch of CA-1 -- the Pacific Coast Highway especially southbound.  Use US 101.  Also stay off the CA-1 stretch from Big Sur to San Simion.    Both stretches are white knuckle drives, are subject to landsliding and bear the full brunt of Pacific Storms.    Again US 101 is the choice to take.  The wine county is a nice side trip with a toad, or better yet in a limo or bus tour -- more sampling possible.  ;D

Stay outside of SF with your RV.  Use your toad to tour the town. 

You will pass some interesting missions on the way down US101 which follows much of the route of El Camino Real.  San Juan Bautista and its town are worth a day as is the nearby Monterey.    San Miguel is worth an hour as is San Luis Obispo.  La Purisma near Buellton and Lompoc CA is a good stop.  In fact, the Flying Flags RV park in Buellton is an excellent 2-3 day base for touring the area of Santa Y?ez Valley, Solvang, and the flower fields of Lompoc. 

Santa Barbara is interesting but I have no park recommendations.

LA is huge.  Stay north of town in Valencia along I-5.  You can cut over to I-5 from 101 via CA-126.  Touring LA is a message in itself and is best done in a toad.  San Diego is a nice destination after LA.  Avoid the I-405 getting there.  The traffic around LAX is horrendous because of construction.  Take the I-210 to the I-15 and then take I-15 to SD. 

I-10 is your best route east out of Southern CA.  It stays low and is pretty good thru Tucson AZ to my recent experience.  See it on a US road map, it is the main all season E-W route for the country.
Plan on a

Back
Top Bottom