Help! Clogged Waste Drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick1038

:-[ I didn't use the special TP for RV's, so now I have a clog in the dump line.  What's the best way to clear the pipe?  Is there an enzyme or other chemical that would soften or breakup the tissue?

Well, first the special TP for RV's is not the best to use, Scotts single ply or Angle Soft rank rather well.  And second, I seriously doubt that's the source of your clog.

If it is in fact a paper clog filling the black and gray tanks both, then opening first the gray, then once the flow is established, closing the gray and opening the black AT THE SAME TIME is the best way, this puts max pressure above and the flowing water, wishing to continue flowing, will SUCK on the outlet. I do not suggest this as a first attempt though

However as I said, I don't think that's your problem.

Another possible trick is the Flush King. (At least that is what I think it's called). This is a special fitting with a hose fitting so you can put water in and a dump valve to keep from simply going down the hose.. Hook up with this in the line, and a clear adapter above it to the tank, and of course the hose to the hole in the ground.  Leave all dump valves open and by adjusting the knob on the flush king direct a jet of water up into the tank.. If it's TP this will chew through it fairly fast.  If, it's what I fear it is, neither of the above methods will work.  I'll let others fill you in on the fear (There is a thread on it here somewhere)

Dick1038 said:
:-[ I didn't use the special TP for RV's, so now I have a clog in the dump line.  What's the best way to clear the pipe?  Is there an enzyme or other chemical that would soften or breakup the tissue?

Try these HERE  or HERE.

By the way, the 'special TP for RVs' is not all that good.  Better is ordinary Scotts single ply.  The clue is that the TP is approved for septic tanks and RVs as indicated on the package.

Is this an old or new unit?  If newer or new to you, you also could have a problem with something from construction getting down into the tank and finally starting to cause a problem.  Heck, we've heard of alll kinds of "stuff" going down the drain, including a cell phone.  Hopefully it's the normal stuff and not something manmade because normal stuff is "probably" easier to break down.  Good luck!

ArdraF

Carl, thank you for providing the link I did not feel like providing (THE FLUSH KING, also the hydro flush which I do happen to have a version of in the rig.

And tanks to AdraF... I mentioned "Other problems" Adra figured out how to phrase what I did not wish to say there too.

I'd try the flush king first, or if money is an object the other one Carl linked to (Which is on the same shelf at CW)

I've been happy with my flush king.  A word of warning though, the water hose hookup wasn't screwed in tightly on mine, resulting in minor liquid seepage when I first used it.  Do the sensible thing and make sure everything is tight before trying to have anything flow.

Also, it doesn't take as long to backfill a tank as you might think.  So don't start it and go do something else real quick and then forget.

Some things I have to learn the hard way.  :(  And now I have to drop my black tank and find where it leaks.  Fortunately, I know it is rather clean or at least mostly clean.  Plus, it didn't flood into the interior of the vehicle.  :)

It took me about 30 or so flushes to get it to run clear two flushes in a row.  I'm thinking there was a lot of full hookup camping done before I bought it with the valves kept open.  :(

Dick1038, I really hope you manage to get things unclogged without much hassle.  Good luck!

jim

As I recall the special RV TP failed the famous TP test.  We use Scott single ply.  Angel Soft was a good one too last I knew.

Dick,

Ae you sure you have a clog? It's possible that the sensors have some TP or other crud on them that could be giving a false indication that the tank is full.

Old results aside, Quilted Northern (the winner) has worked well for us in the coach for several years. Thetford RV/marine (the runner up) has worked well in our boats for the last 20 years, although we've occasionally substituted QN.

Tom said:
Old results aside, Quilted Northern (the winner) has worked well for us in the coach for several years. Thetford RV/marine (the runner up) has worked well in our boats for the last 20 years, although we've occasionally substituted QN.

I just thought I would mention it since they do change the compsition f TP like they did Charmin.  Was one of thebest till they changed it.  I have never been satisfied wiht the TP test results I performed on Thetford RV paper. But then like I said they do change the makeup sometimes.

Maybe it is time to conduct another TP test. ;D

Truth is Ron, we're still using up a huge inventory of Thetford RV/marine we'd stockpiled on the boat several years ago. So I wouldn't expect the composition of the inventory to change. In any event, the on-board head system is vacuum from the commode to the holding tank and it's pumped from there via a large lift pump at a marina. Little chance of a clog, although it's been known to happen under circumstances that make the brand irrelevant.

I haven't seen any data suggesting a change in composition of Quilted Northern, so we'll continue using that in the coach and at home.

Feel free to champion a new TP test. The results might be interesting.

I'm thinking there was a lot of full hookup camping done before I bought it with the valves kept open.

That could certainly cause problems.  We always close the black tank valve after dumping.  It's okay to leave the gray tank valve open, but not the black.

ArdraF

Karl said:
Good news  for Sam's Club members ( or a friend of a friend....) Member's Mark (Sam's brand) "Premium Bath Tissue. Extra Soft & Quilted", 2-ply double rolls pass the test. 36 double rolls to the package, and they are soft; not like some of those 'industrial strength, waxed-paper, bargain brands'. :)

"Big Roll" Charmin, also sold at Sams, is still a loser.  Not a bit of breakup when stirred after five minutes.

Regarding Charmin (And, for that matter, many other brands)

I have read a TP TEST report, done within the last two years, Charmin came out both on top (one of the top 3) and on the bottom (one of the bottom 3)  You ask how this can be... Simple, Charmin has a number of different products, single ply, dual ply, quilted and such,, One was very bad, one was very good.

I agree with whomever said it's time for another test

I"m wondering how the OP is doing clearing the clog.. And of course IF it's clogged or just dirty sensors

Tom said:
Feel free to champion a new TP test. The results might be interesting.

OK Tom I did the TP test and posted results under General discussion.  Hopefully others will do like wise.  Could be interesting.

ArdraF said:
That could certainly cause problems.  We always close the black tank valve after dumping.  It's okay to leave the gray tank valve open, but not the black.

Would someone please explain why leaving the black tank valve open causes problems? Thanks.

Mark

When you leave the BWT valve open the liquid drains of and leaves the solids in the tank to dry out and build up.

Recommended proceedure is to leave BWT closed and leave Gray water valve open.  When BWT is about 3/4 full close gray water valve so gray  water can accumulate.  When BWT is full open BWT valve and the tank flow of liquids will help move the solids out too.  Flush out the BWT then close valve and add some water.  Then open gray water tank valve and gray water will help flush out hose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom