Help me create a small list of needed items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynesRV

OK so we are still sometime out before we start the Full time RV life but what items can i get a jump start on collectiong now small items that i can pick up here and there to be prepared, instead of getting them all at the last minute, please note we do plan to have a base state where we will have a storage where we will come once or twice a year to re stock out 25-30 ft RV then back on road, discuss please......?

Click on the Library button above and look in the Checklists section. You might find the list has already been created.

waynesRV said:
OK so we are still sometime out before we start the Full time RV life but what items can i get a jump start on collectiong now small items that i can pick up here and there to be prepared, instead of getting them all at the last minute, please note we do plan to have a base state where we will have a storage where we will come once or twice a year to re stock out 25-30 ft RV then back on road, discuss please......?
IMHO it it better to wait until you actually need something before you buy it. If you buy it beforehand you might not never need it and then you have wasted your money. If you buy it beforehand and it is the wrong size, shape or color, once again you have wasted your money. Common wisdom around here is to make your first weekend trip a shakedown cruise that is either in your driveway, the local Walmart or a campground close to a Walmart.

SeilerBird said:
IMHO it it better to wait until you actually need something before you buy it. If you buy it beforehand you might not never need it and then you have wasted your money. If you buy it beforehand and it is the wrong size, shape or color, once again you have wasted your money. Common wisdom around here is to make your first weekend trip a shakedown cruise that is either in your driveway, the local Walmart or a campground close to a Walmart.
This is good advise. When you do your shakedown trip take a pen and tablet and wright down items you decide you need. I would go to the libray section they have some excellent list to get you started.
Bill

Make a list of everything you use at home in a week. We collected dishes, silverware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, toaster, waffle iron, etc for a few years prior to actually needing them in the MH. When MIL passed away we saved the items we knew we'd need from her home. We had seasonings, and those kinds of things that we just plucked out of her cupboard and put in a box ready to carry into the motorhome a year or so later.

Some items you might want to buy new, but there was no doubt about the cooking utensils etc. that we would want. Of course having had the boat for 30 years gave a really good idea of what sizes and types of things we wanted to carry. We buy and use the large Johnnys seasoning at home, but fill the MH and boat smaller sized containers from that one.

Ken

Sage advice from Seilerbird.  Don't go buying a bunch of stuff you'll never use.  Aside from that, RVs have such limited space for things that you might buy something you like only to find it won't fit into any cupboard or drawer.  I commented in another topic that just going into Canada and buying metric size canned goods means shifting my food storage area - the U.S. size fits three deep perfectly on our shelves but the metric doesn't because they're larger.  Another example is a coffeemaker or other appliance which might be only a half inch too high or too wide or too deep.  If you don't have your RV yet, I especially think you should wait to buy anything.  RV beds have zero consistency in measurements and buying linens for them can be an exercise in frustration.  I've returned many that didn't fit.  You have to go linen buying with precise measurements of your bed (length, width, depth).  They say a bed is Queen size, but don't bet on it!

ArdraF

Sage advise from Ardra ;D When I bought this RV used it came with a bunch of stuff I have never used and probably never will. I hate to throw it away because I might end up needing it. There are two complete storage bays full of stuff. One is fluids, a large container of oil, trans fluid, antifreeze, etc. Another storage space is filled with boards and those stupid yellow Legos on steriods for leveling. I never level. The way I level is to move to a different site.

Are you asking about fundamental things needed for operation, like water hoses, power adapters, dishes and silverware?  Or "maybe" stuff, like a folding table, a BBQ grill or spare parts for repairs?

I thought the same thing.  I now have an inverter, a washing machine, and a macerator that i would like to sell.

I think it is kinda funny, since everyone, myself included, seems to the same thing. Buy your first RV and head straight for Camping World and get one of everything ;D

As you sort through the stuff you are putting in storage, just put aside the stuff you already have that you think you will use.

THEN, make sure when you pack your storage area that you clearly label boxes and put big pieces of furniture in the back and boxes in the front.  My son supervised the packing of my storage locker--big mistake!  I have no idea where some stuff is that I now want.  I did find some sewing and kitchen stuff, but there are other things that are buried forever!

When I return next April, I am determined to hire a couple of moving guys and have them empty my storage facility and repack it.  I am also going to give some stuff away while I am at it.

Not only is there CW, but Lowes, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, and a ton of other shops along the way where you can buy new needed stuff. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom