Help Me Set Up New Suzuki Samurai To Flat Tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ButchW

I just picked up a completely stock 1986 hard top (Tin Top) Suzuki Samurai... It has never been set up to tow, but I got it to flat tow behind my new to me motor home (Class A 2012 Fleetwood Terra 31TS)... The car weighs 2200#s, so it's pretty light... I'm thinkin' of something like the NSA ReadyBrake System... At least for the brake mechanism.. Their tow bar might be a little bit overkill for that light of a car.. I want to do this safely, but simply (Installation and future connection and disconnection).. Maybe just the magnetic stick on lights like the tow trucks use... Thoughts?
Thanks for any help,
Butch

We towed a 1992 tracker for years. Roadmaster towbar and Brake Buddy brake system.
Tracker weighed about 2350 lbs empty, but we usually loaded it up . Had to use light setting on brake buddy or you’d get wheel lockup.
Wiring lights is a breeze. You can string GM flat 4 wire from front to back easily. Holes in chassis seem to be made for it.
In case you weren’t aware, Suzuki manual says to tow with tranny in 2nd, transfer case in neutral and hubs unlocked of course. They say to start engine every two hundred miles and run with clutch pedal engaged for a couple minutes to lube tranny. We always did this between 150 and 300 miles.
Great tow vehicle. Never had any tow or brake problems. Oh, I did run a dedicated 12 volt wire through plug to power Brake Buddy. Not necessary, but worked better for me.

Thanks... I did know the recommended towing instructions. The car came with an owners manual (They seem to be kinda rare), and I'm going thru it now... I'm trying to make connection as simple as possible, so really don't want the complications of connecting a disconnecting the Brake Buddy... Plus storing it when not in use.. That's why I was looking at the ReadyBrake.... I was a little concerned about some of the tow bar base plates... I don't know how the mout to the car, and don't want to butcher the bumpers or other parts....
Butch

Last edited:
The baseplate usually attaches to the same places the bumper attaches to the frame using longer bolts. That's why they're custom made for each vehicle.

You might want to check with NSA regarding their delivery times. 6 months ago I bought a Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick) set up to tow with a Blue Ox tow bar. I had a Roadmaster tow bar and although they make adapters so you can use one type with the other they were backordered 90 days. I also considered getting a NSA tow bar with Ready Brake but NSA was backordered 6 months.

I wound up getting a generic $90 tow bar from Harbor Freight and drilled holes to mount it to the existing baseplate on the Tracker, just inboard of where the Blue Ox bar would attach. The tow bar is rated for 5000 lbs and so far has worked well but it uses a ball hitch so it's nowhere near as easy for one person to hitch up as the ones that are semi-permanently attached to the motorhome.

Thank you. I just missed picking up a complete, near new, ReadyBrake towbar on Craigs List for about 1/2 price. It was missing only the baseplates. The brake system was there. It was only up for a couple of hours. Glad to hear about the baseplates not affecting the bumper.
Butch

Last edited:
On our ‘92 Tracker had to drill 4 holes in the frame horns to attach roadmaster baseplate

Wiring lights is a breeze. You can string GM flat 4 wire from front to back easily. Holes in chassis seem to be made for it.
Did you add extra lamps to your light fixtures, or use diodes, and tie into the existing wiring?.. If I can easily add the extra lamps, and not mess with the stock wiring, that would be cool...
Butch

Don't even THINK of attaching to the bumper,, many Jeep folks have had to learn that the hard way..>>>Dan
No chance of me doing that... I' trying not to go overboard on doing this, but It will be safe... Probably overkill...
Butch

Well I found this tow bar on a local Offer Up ad... It was as good as new, and the seller only wanted $50... I didn't even try to haggle with him... ;) .... Now for the lights...

Butch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom