Help Needed - Opinions, Guidance, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kvroo1

Okay - we have a truck, Chevy 2500 Silverado HD 8.1, 3:73 Rear - short bed, Gas. Had this before we decided to get a 5th wheel. A dealer told us we could pul a 31.5 5th wheel. The truck has extended cab, short bed. We have the Reese slider hitch installed over the rear wheels (16K).
The 5er is 9200 lbs empty. Are we or aren't we going to be able to pull this 5th wheel okay? The story is we have it in South Carolina, and only plan to take it to Florida, where the kids are. My wife just had to have this 5th wheel so we could see the kids for several months. If we don't take it anywhere but on I95 & I75, do you think we can haul this 5er with this truck okay without major problems. We are having new wheels put on truck. By the way, this is another question. What size, rating, wheels should we have? Guess I have alot of questions. We get alot of answers, but need to find out from some veterans. A new truck is out of the question because I we now have a new 5th wheel - the new truck has to wait.

thanks

Please review the towing specifications for your 2500 HD on this website:  http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/

Your truck is rated to pull a 12,000 lb trailer and a GCWR (combined truck/trailer/gear weight) of 20,000 lbs., so you should be fine. You are considerably better off thn most beginners, so count yourself lucky.

The standard wheels & tires are fine for this sort of load, so your new ones should be the same or greater ratings.

kvroo1 said:
Okay - we have a truck, Chevy 2500 Silverado HD 8.1, 3:73 Rear - short bed, Gas. Had this before we decided to get a 5th wheel. A dealer told us we could pul a 31.5 5th wheel. The truck has extended cab, short bed. We have the Reese slider hitch installed over the rear wheels (16K).
The 5er is 9200 lbs empty. Are we or aren't we going to be able to pull this 5th wheel okay? The story is we have it in South Carolina, and only plan to take it to Florida, where the kids are. My wife just had to have this 5th wheel so we could see the kids for several months. If we don't take it anywhere but on I95 & I75, do you think we can haul this 5er with this truck okay without major problems. We are having new wheels put on truck. By the way, this is another question. What size, rating, wheels should we have? Guess I have alot of questions. We get alot of answers, but need to find out from some veterans. A new truck is out of the question because I we now have a new 5th wheel - the new truck has to wait.

thanks

Go check out the Trailer Life ratings for your vehicle at http://www.trailerlife.com/ and get to the Tech section.  The 2005 listings give you a rating of 16,200# for a 5th wheel, with a GCVWR of 22,000#.  Those 2005 figures seem to indicate you are well within the limits with a 9200# trailer.  Check the ratings for your trucks model year.

If you are going for new wheel do not increase the overall wheel+tire diameter of the stock wheels.  Increasing that diameter has the effect of reducing your final drive ratio.  If you are towing you don't want this to happen.  May I also recommend LT rated tires.    Stick as close to the mfr. recommended tires for your truck as you can.

Carl & kvroo1...
You must have the 4.10 rear axle to get a 22,000 lb GCWR. kvroo1 has a 3.73, which is 20,000 lbs.

I think the Chevrolet tow ratings page  I suggested is a better source than the Trailer Life

Back
Top Bottom