Help, please! Sewer smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One other thing I occasionally do is to dump my black tank and then fill it a third or half full of fresh water and maybe some soap and a cup of bleach. Then find a nice, empty road out in the country where you can do whatever it takes to slosh things around. Maybe some hard stops. And also try swerving back and forth. The latter is why you need a nice empty road so people will not think you are drunk or crazy. Do this for maybe 15 minutes, then drive back to campground and dump your tank again. Maybe even add a couple of gallons of fresh water inside or using your outside flush hose--the object is to try to get stuff out before it dries.

This will help remove any gunk and toilet paper that is stuck to the walls and bottom of your tank.

Also, a very slightly open vent in your bathroom or living area might help sewer gas from being sucked into your RV.

I had no idea where this was going but was interested since I never had the issue. I myself am curious why that effects the AC like that or even the inside. But I'm glad you found a solution and posted it. You are now the King RV tech.

Wait , not sure but if the AC that catches the smell is near the Crack below then as ACs catch and circulate the air I guess maybe that is what it was doing .

One other thing I occasionally do is to dump my black tank and then fill it a third or half full of fresh water and maybe some soap and a cup of bleach. Then find a nice, empty road out in the country where you can do whatever it takes to slosh things around. Maybe some hard stops. And also try swerving back and forth. The latter is why you need a nice empty road so people will not think you are drunk or crazy. Do this for maybe 15 minutes, then drive back to campground and dump your tank again. Maybe even add a couple of gallons of fresh water inside or using your outside flush hose--the object is to try to get stuff out before it dries.

This will help remove any gunk and toilet paper that is stuck to the walls and bottom of your tank.

Also, a very slightly open vent in your bathroom or living area might help sewer gas from being sucked into your RV.
I’ve heard dumping ice into the black tank before you pull out to travel also helps clean the tank. We’ll be sure to do this when we pull out.

I had no idea where this was going but was interested since I never had the issue. I myself am curious why that affects the AC like that or even the inside. But I'm glad you found a solution and posted it. You are now the King RV tech.
Hahahaha! It still doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m glad it was something simple. Definitely not a tech, but if me posting the solution helps someone else I’m happy.

Well like I said , I wonder if from the Crack in your hose if the smell was going through that AC unit and possibly causing the stink during the flush. But I'm glad it's settled it's just not what ya look forward to with you OJ and bagley, I've heard of everything bagles but that's to much.

The hint about putting a bag of ice cubes in the black water tank works best if you put it in before you drive and slosh it around to loosen the stuff on the sides of the tank.

Maybe even add some soap at the same time.

Stop, start and shake it up with a few turns for the best results.

Then dump it.

Putting it in and dumping right away or letting it melt before sloshing it around does not work as well.

The hint about putting a bag of ice cubes in the black water tank works best if you put it in before you drive and slosh it around to loosen the stuff on the sides of the tank.

Maybe even add some soap at the same time.

Stop, start and shake it up with a few turns for the best results.

Then dump it.

Putting it in and dumping right away or letting it melt before sloshing it around does not work as well.
That’s what I meant. I probably didn’t explain it well. 😁 thanks for the clarification.

That’s what I meant
It is far more effective to fill the tanks 1/3 full and then add some laundry detergent before travel and then dump when you arrive. Ice melts very quickly so is a poor answer, especially in hot weather. The other issue is that it is very difficult to get ice cubes into the gray tank but water and detergent get there quite easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bullfrog1954
Back
Top Bottom