Help! Slide Roof Holes - How to fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That appears to be galvanic corrosion, which can happen when different metals are attached together. https://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

IMO a good temporary fix is to use metal duct tape, overlapping each piece. to prevent water leaks. I think Eternbond, while an excellent sealant, would stick to the slide seal and cause another issue.

Ok, so done for now.  Put Eternabond on yesterday and slide goes in and out ok.  Temp fix done for now.  Permanent (replace roof) to be done later.  Used three coats of car wax on the rest of the roof for more protection.  put slide dressing o the seals then installed the new slide topper fabric. 

Also, sealed up the slide lock in the other slide on the drivers side.  Will used rod type locks inside instead of the leaky electric locks.  Living in the woods, bugs constantly plugged the drains making a water mess inside.  That slide roof is in  better condition.  It has no holes yet, but some starting corrosion areas.  Same treatment - waxed roof, slide seal dressing and new topper fabric.  May need to replace that roof too. 

Will monitor more closely both of them.  I put them on the list to check when I check the roof joint caulking.  I would recommend finding a way to clean the slide top periodically.  This is difficult with the topper in place.  Maybe I can do it from inside or with a long pole cleaner from outside.

So 2 out of three slide toppers done.  The third is going to be more difficult.  I am going to start a separate thread as it is a different problem.

Thanks to all who responded,
Jay

jnwhite said:
Ok, so done for now.  Put Eternabond on yesterday and slide goes in and out ok.  Temp fix done for now.  Permanent (replace roof) to be done later.  Used three coats of car wax on the rest of the roof for more protection.  put slide dressing o the seals then installed the new slide topper fabric. 

Also, sealed up the slide lock in the other slide on the drivers side.  Will used rod type locks inside instead of the leaky electric locks.  Living in the woods, bugs constantly plugged the drains making a water mess inside.  That slide roof is in  better condition.  It has no holes yet, but some starting corrosion areas.  Same treatment - waxed roof, slide seal dressing and new topper fabric.  May need to replace that roof too. 

Will monitor more closely both of them.  I put them on the list to check when I check the roof joint caulking.  I would recommend finding a way to clean the slide top periodically.  This is difficult with the topper in place.  Maybe I can do it from inside or with a long pole cleaner from outside.

So 2 out of three slide toppers done.  The third is going to be more difficult.  I am going to start a separate thread as it is a different problem.

Thanks to all who responded,
Jay

I use a 4 ft Tomato Stick, I got at the garden center, the ones made from Fiberglass and I tape a swifter to it.  I use some dry RV spray lube on it when I do my gasket wipe downs. 

This is about 1X per  year I can get the motivation up to do it. 

The outer Black gaskets and wipers, tires take a beating down here with the UV Rays on Bake mode around 4 months out of the year. 

This year it seems to be cooling off early but we pop up to 99 or 100F as we are going to this upcoming Saturday. 

Yes, it is a dry heat but the Sun is very Destructive!  Just like water.  Can be brutal over time.

JD

I saw similar corrosion 25 years ago when I was living in Concord, CA.  Northern CA weather features 3 - 4 months of daily rain, followed by 8-9 dry months.  The first winter I was there my neighbor mentioned her slideout was leaking and soaking the couch underneath.

When I cleaned off the top of the slideout I found those galvanic corrosion pinholes.  My temporary fix was to apply a coat of Henry's TropiCool metal roof coating.  It took less than a quart.  The fix was still there and working when I left the area 6 years later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom