Hey guy have a chat with us Brits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Road Runner

Hope admin doesn't mind but we are the RV section of a forum in the UK and would love you guys to join in with us from time to time.

Motorhomefun

This site make great reading for us over the pond.

PS:- admin if i have broken any rules please delete this post.

Paul (UK-RV) already posted that link and I've visited several times.

Why not invite other Brits to come here? (But I'm not asking you to post that request on motorhomefun). We have a number of ex-pats here.

I know Paul well.

I love these forum and love how small it makes the world.

My RV is in right now being converted to LPG as Petrol in the UK is now ?4.73 a gallon and exchange at $1.98 to the ? which makes a US gallon about $9 a US gallon.

Scary or what :eek:

John,

I won't get out my towel and cry for you. The folks in Westminster promised low priced petrol for all Brits when they approved drilling in the North Sea. Instead, they saw ever-increasing petrol tax as an easy source of revenue that they proceeded to squander.

I hope the leave LPG alone as it half the price of petrol.

Costing me ?3000 for the conversion on the RV so hoping to see my cash back in 18 month at present.

I also run my Jeep GC 5.7 on LPG.

$6,000 for the conversion - ouch! Who's stealing your money, er doing the conversion?

How things have changed. When I was in my teens and working two jobs in addition to attending school, regular Minis came out and cost 300 quid new ($600). I could only dream of owning one, and paid a whopping 25 quid for my old Hillman estate. I couldn't even afford a tent until several years later, and couldn't afford the trailer to put all the stuff in, so I had to borrow a company trailer. We're talking about 10 times the price of the Mini just to convert the fuel system on your motorhome.

John,

Do the folks east of the Severn Bridge still steal get free water from Wales? You know there are plans afoot to turn off the tap when Wales gets full independence  ;)

Road Runner John,

As you know, I happily accepted your invitation to join the Motorhome Fun board and immediately got pummeled over the price of gas here. I can't help it if we're fortunate, ya know? I really don't want to get into any socio-political disputes. Hope it was all in good fun because that's how I am determined to take it.  :) If my presence on that board isn't welcome, though, I will happily leave so as not to annoy anybody. I bought an RV to run away from stress.

Dave

Nah, they were picking on you Dave, and John was the ringleader  ;D

Mick, I refuse to get out the towel and cry. The boys in Westminster promised low price petrol for everyone when the approved drilling in the North Sea. They conveniently forgot to tell folks that they were going to continually increase  tax on that "cheap" petrol. Vote 'em out of office.

Tom, that's exactly what a couple of gentlemen on the British RV forum said. Apparently their gas is taxed at a rate of 60%! One guy said it was their own fault for putting up with it. The US average gas tax is 42-cents which I believe is roughly 13% of the current price.

Anybody curious about gas taxes in his or her own state can check it out here: http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gas_taxes_by_state_2002.html

I am sorry for the welcome.  We at present are suffering huge fuel price rises and I suppose envy comes into it.  We do however absolutely love your gas guzzlers although they hurt the pocket.  I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 as well so really know what pain is ::)

Please don't let this put you off us Brits please.  Most of us dream of driving across the States in an RV like Mick & Pat are now.

Please keep in touch with us guys ;)

Don't worry about it John. Dave is a nice guy, and it's clear he's not put off. Anyway, I came to his defence over there  ;D

Thanks Tom. And John, once again -- I love the Brit board and all who post there. I'm one of those guys who has always taken great care to avoid being the stereotypical "ugly American" whenever I have been among people of other nationalities. A lot of people here lay a huge guilt trip on most Americans over most everything. I once had a Canadian berate me because our public schools don't teach Canadian history or geography! "Hell's bells," I told him, "they don't teach us AMERICAN history correctly!" I probably am too uptight at times. Hands across the water, and all that!

Dave,

I suspect that most folks don't realize how they're perceived when they visit other countries. The combination of nervousness and excitement causes folks to talk a lot and loudly, and this can lead to the (incorrect) perception of "obnoxiously loud people".

Boy, that's excellent point. Tom. Hadn't thought about. Though I have seen some "ugly Americans" in action I suppose there are a few jerks all over the world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom