High Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobill

Am I crazy for buying a 2003 Allegro Bus 40DP with 127,000 miles on it?  It's a good price and "everybody" always says diesel engines can go for hundreds of thousands of miles.  What do you think?

I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage if everything else checks out and the coach has been maintained according to schedule.  25,000 miles a year is higher than most people put on their RVs, but not unusual.  At least it's been in use, better than having sat unused.

I second what Ned said.  If the rest of the coach and systems are good then go for it.  You can expect many good service miles from it.

The mileage is not an issue for the engine and probably not the Allison  transmission either, assuming proper maintenance for both. Other running gear, e.g. wheel bearings, steering/suspension, universal joints, exhaust, etc. are likely showing signs of wear and tear or, e.g. the shocks,  are flat worn out at 127k.  The Bus will be on a Freightliner chassis, so I would plan on taking it to the Freightliner Factory Service Center in Gaffney, SC and having them go over the chassis with a fine tooth comb as well as changing all fluids and filters. That way you know you have a fresh start with a chassis in good shape. Figure on spending $2000 or so - just changing all the fluids and filters will run nearly $1500.

It is probably well into the second set of tires too, so new tires (major expense) will not be far off. Figure another $2400-$3000.

Thanks for the input.  I figured we would need to do some maintenance...I just wasn't sure what all to have checked.  You guys are the best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom