Highway vs All terrain tires for tuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caspian2

I have a 2500 silverado 4x4 and need to change the tires. Original tire is all terrain good year. I tow my fifth wheel a few times a year, primarily on highway and when not towing, I do all my driving on paved roads. I hardly drive on gravel or dirt road. I leave in Florida, so no issue with winter and snow, but we do get good amount of rain.

I prefer the smoother ride and less tire noise. Question is if I should use all terrain or go with highway (all season) tires? Do I really need all terrain tires for towing?

Thanks for any input.

It certainly sounds like you don't need all-terrain, unless you need the look. An all-season should be fine for what you use the truck for. You will still have 4wd in case you get into some sketchy situations like a muddy campsite. Not limiting yourself to all-terrain will likely allow savings in the purchase, reduced noise and reduced rolling resistance which might get you better fuel efficiency

Even having 4X4 is overboard in your situation by the sounds of it. People are so full of themselves (or is it self-centered?) these days "for the look" it is pathetic.
Just buy the highway ones, enjoy the quiet and smoother ride knowing it is not for the others approval, who cares what they think.

I prefer the ride of my Firestone all-season highway tires. They are great for my on-road driving, not so much for off-road mud over 3" deep.

As long as you never drive on dirt, grass, etc. highways tires may be ok, but unloaded pickup trucks don't do well off pavement in wet conditions with highway tires, there simply is not enough weight over the drive wheels in wet conditions. I do have to drive on gravel roads, etc. in my F-250, my tires of choice are Nitto Dura Graplers , which are marketed as a highway terrain tire designed for towing, they are a bit more aggressive tread than most highway tires, but not as aggressive as a traditional all terrain tire. While not designed for driving through mud, etc. they at least give me the grip I need if I have to drive across wet grass, etc.

Wet grass.... you are joking, right?
No he is not. Its super easy to get stuck in wet grass with a 2wd truck. I've had it happen a couple of times. Neighbor called me last fall, a friend was visiting and got his F150 stuck in the grass, I had to take the tractor and Yankum rope to pull him out of the hole he had dug.

Charles

No he is not. Its super easy to get stuck in wet grass with a 2wd truck. I've had it happen a couple of times. Neighbor called me last fall, a friend was visiting and got his F150 stuck in the grass, I had to take the tractor and Yankum rope to pull him out of the hole he had dug.

Charles
Was it the wet grass or the mud underneath the grass?

It sounds like the all season highway tires would work for you. I know Michelin makes the Defender LTX which is a very good tire. I believe Cooper and Continental both make them as well. What size does your vehicle take?

As far as the towing capacity goes as long as you stick with an LT tire with the ply rating your vehicle calls for you will be good to go.

I run an AT tire during the summer even though I use studded snows in winter but I have a short commute and do get in places where the extra traction helps. I do also like the way they look which apparently is a bad thing.

Charles

Plus, once the rear wheels dig the holes, even switching 4WD may not get the truck out.

Guess I was not clear, wet grass.... buying BIG Mudder tires of any type will NOT help on wet grass, not with an empty box, open rear end, auto transmission and super hemi engine. There is just too much power when the tranny engages, causing the initial spin... then you are screwed. Learn and know how to properly start off on wet grass, you'd have no problem.
Buying aggressive tires cuz you may encounter wet grass? It is just wanted poser points. As mentioned, buy what you need and if it is poser points you need.....

EDIT: I might add, Ford used to have a great idea with their 3/4 speed trannys, you put it in second and it will start off in second, reducing the total power to the rear wheel(s) and you can crawl out of the dreaded "wet grass" scenario, works great starting from a stop on icy roads too.

Last edited:
Tires is what I do for a living and if you came into my store I would encourage you to switch to all season. Buy the tire that is going to be best for you under 90-95% of your driving scenarios. Compromise on the 5% days.
Thanks for all the input. Wet grass was an interesting discussion, lol.
I will go ahead with all season.
MY tire size is 275X65X20. I have used Michelin in past and alway happy with the performance. Michelin Defender LTX Platinum is a new tire released by Michelin (replaced LTX M/S, discontinued). Has a unique tread design which is different than the conventional. Any thoughts on that?

MY tire size is 275X65X20. I have used Michelin in past and alway happy with the performance. Michelin Defender LTX Platinum is a new tire released by Michelin (replaced LTX M/S, discontinued). Has a unique tread design which is different than the conventional. Any thoughts on that?
You are right it does have a unique tread pattern. I am not sure if I like the way they blocked the rain grooves. It might be to help with stability and wear but I would think it would not shed water as well. Continental makes a Terrain Contact HT that you might want to look at.

I have been buying Continental's for my family's vehicles for some time. I had Michelin once or twice and liked the Continentals more for performance and price

I don't have enough experience with the Platinum to draw any conclusions. Michelin is a good product but in my opinion overpriced.

I replaced the tires on our Jeep Wrangler with BF Goodrich all terrain TA KO2 almost 5 years ago. The noise level from the original tires which were also BF Goodrich but a different tread pattern was unbearable. Night and day difference. The KO2 tires are wearing well and I'll probably get another 2 or 3 years service from them. Don't know if they make tires large enough for your truck but if they do, I'd look at them. FWIW, when I replaced them, the out the door cost was $935.00 from Costco. Recently I picked up a large nail and had to replace one tire.

Plus, once the rear wheels dig the holes, even switching 4WD may not get the truck out.
My dad always owned 4wd pickups; he always said, 4wd is used to get out of where you got stuck in 2wd, and it worked for him. But then he always ran cleated mud N snow tires.

I replaced the tires on our Jeep Wrangler with BF Goodrich all terrain TA KO2 almost 5 years ago. The noise level from the original tires which were also BF Goodrich but a different tread pattern was unbearable. Night and day difference. The KO2 tires are wearing well and I'll probably get another 2 or 3 years service from them. Don't know if they make tires large enough for your truck but if they do, I'd look at them. FWIW, when I replaced them, the out the door cost was $935.00 from Costco. Recently I picked up a large nail and had to replace one tire.
Like Krazeehorse I do tires for a living and as much as I think the BFG AT TA KO2 is a great tire for some people because of the traction it has as well as great wear going by what the original poster stated it would not be a good tire for their purposes IMO and I do not see any good reason they should go with that tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom