Hire RV Pickup Camper from Vancouver to Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolff

Hi folks! 8)
Greetings from Nuremberg Germany. Me my wife and our 6 months old son want to explore your country.
It's a long time ago making plans to visit that country full of nature. Let's see if corona will cancel these plans or if the world gets healed until summer ... I don't think so at the moment, but nevertheless staying positive and go on planning.

We want to rent a 4WD Pick-Up Camper and go from Vancouver to Montreal. The only RV-hirring website which has a 4WD Pickup is canadreams, but it's not free for our travel duration: August + September 2021.

Do you have an suggestions to hire a 4WD Camper Pick Up from Vancouver to Montreal for ~7 Weeks?

Thanks for some advice and stay safe!

Try Fraser way or Canadream. We have used both and either are a good blend of quality trucks and service. Depending on when you decide to travel they both sometimes offer repositioning deals which can be quite a saving.
TonyL

Canadreams is already sold out or has at least no offer for a drop off in Montreal when starting in Vancouver. I requested also Faser Way for a quote, let's see. Any other rental services for RV home available?
Is there a privat market for this? E.g. Dropoff at the same location in vancouver and pay 10.000? to a privat person?

There are several other hire companies in Vancouver but I have no experience with them. Cruise Canada are probably the biggest but from campground talks with people who rented from them, they seem very particular on the condition that the vehicle is returned. This includes having the exterior completely clean whereas others just request extensive dirt be removed, ie heavy mud.

Just re-read your post, do you mean Vancouver Canada or Vancouver In the US? Also bear in mind that due to Covid and travel restrictions to Canada, some companies may not be quoting to European travellers at the moment.
TonyL

Wolff,

Is there some real reason you think you need a 4WD truck and camper?  Do you plan some side trips that may require this??

Particularly with the young one in tow, I would suggest a Class C.  A truck cab with accommodations available from the cab.  The kinder will need attention (a given) and with this one can slip into the living area and make such happen. 

A side note and not  because I think less of you.  Please study the distances carefully.  Both Canada and the USA are much larger than most Europeans expect.  We have had may visitors (as we have relatives) that come here and have travel plans that are simply impossible.  I hope this does not discourage you, but I do want you to be aware.  There is a lot to see and do, but it is over more area than you might expect.  The Vancouver, BC to Montreal, PQ is about 4600Km and not all on good roads if you stay in Canada.  There are still Wuhan/Covid travel restrictions and I don't know if they will still be when you get here.

If you stay in Canada the whole way, you will not need to get out you passports until you plan to go home.

Many of us write here just to help others.  If you have more questions, we may be able to assist you. 

Matt

One other thing I would advise, many hire companies do not permit the camper to be removed so that the truck can be used just as a 4 wheel drive pickup. Probably due to unskilled drivers doing considerable damage when trying to back the bed of the truck between the support legs or failing to secure the camper.
TonyL

I agree with Matt, you will be much more comfortable in a class C especially with the little one. I don't know if you appreciate how far that is, your plan is doable but doesn't allow for a lot of stops and sight seeing.

If you don't mind considering a camper van and the hippie like logos on it check out

https://www.wickedcampers.ca

they have locations in both Vancouver and Montreal

At this point we are being told that life won't return to normal until late 2021 or into 2022.  Vaccines are delayed and the hope of enough people getting vaccinated to provide herd immunity is not expected until after September at the earliest.  In the interim Canada has a total ban on non essential visitors, ie tourists.
    That said, aside from you missing what many think is the most scenic area, that is the east coast, where I happen to live.  The proposed 7 weeks is doable but tight.  You will want to explore British Columbia and that will take at least a week, then onto Jasper and Banff National Parks, a minimum of 4 days, the on to Drumheller Alberta, the home of the Royal Tyrell Museum and the Badlands, that will kill the rest of week 2.  The north shore of Lake Superior is very scenic all the way to Sudbury, with many miles between any areas of population.  A diversion to Manitoulin Island, well worth it.  The route along the Ottawa River and the City of Ottawa, need exploring, and it will take you a good week to visit Montreal.
    All that said, we have driven our Class A pulling our Jeep along those roads without ever needing 4 wheel.  As suggested above a Class C would be sufficient and provide much more comfort.

Ed

Rental RVs in Canada are typically moved

1) from the east (Toronto/Montreal) to the west (Calgary/Vancouver) by May
2) south (Whitehorse to Calgary) and east (Halifax to Montreal/Toronto) in September.

Not many are moved west to east.  They're generally sold.  I've never seen any specials for that direction.

A rental from Vancouver to Montreal will cost a lot, especially for 7 weeks.  Think high daily rates and a one-way fee.

FWIW, I did a 21 day repo from Montreal to Vancouver 4 years ago (booked ~ 4 years ago) at a great rate of $59/day with 5,000 free Km.

Vehicle had to be returned by end of May.  Rate haven't been as good since, and some have allowed only a maximum rental of 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom