Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aneura

Hello,

I'm looking for a hitch carrier to hold my Komodo Joe Jr on the back of our TT... looking for idea's and what others have done.. I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking, but the grill is 28" tall and I can't find anything like this over 24". I don't want a 70lb grill coming loose, and it's an awkward shape so a box of some sort is desirable.

Any help is appreciated!

We have a TT, not an Audi. :)

d0ba7a36-1415-45b2-a1bf-3f67804dcf6a.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpeg

steveblond typed it before I could! Few TT's have enough structure under the rear to support a hitch receiver. Finding enough to support a 70# weight at the end of a 3 ft lever will be a challenge. You may be able to weld on enough extra bracing to do it, though. Also be aware that 70# hanging out back will lift a substantial amount of tongue weight from the ball coupler (the teeter-totter affect). That could make trailer sway more likely unless compensated for.

Production carriers wider than 24-26” are hard to find. I have the equipment and ability to weld aluminum, and have widened 8 or 10 aluminum carriers for family and friends. We buy the Harbor Freight carriers and go from there.
Most of my projects involve a ramp to load a lawn mower, snow blower, or ect.
Even an aluminum carrier is going to weigh 20-25+ lbs. so you’ll be pushing 100 lbs. on receiver tube before leverage, so lots of fabrication on the table.

I had a receiver welded to the frame of our 5th wheel and used a hitch carrier. Worked quite well carrying two bicycles. I bolted a receiver to the bumper of our TT o Lt find out the bumper isn’t strong enough to hold anything. Not sure why it’s even there. If you do this I would have the receiver welded to the frame.

I bolted a receiver to the bumper of our TT o Lt find out the bumper isn’t strong enough to hold anything. Not sure why it’s even there.
  1. Looks; Buyers expect to see a bumper on a vehicle
  2. Often a carrier for a sewer hose
  3. If you back up into something at the campsite, you are probably hopefully going slow enough to avoid damage to the rear fiberglass or sheet metal.

As usual, Gary and Steve beat me to it.

My biggest concern would be shifting weight from the front of the trailer to the rear without having the trailer weighed to ensure you still have adequate tongue weight.....otherwise, trailer sway could spoil your day. My trailer has the spare tire mounted to the rear bumper from the factory, and the sewer hose inside....I wouldn't dream of adding another ounce to the rear.

What is your tow vehicle?

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick and sound advise!! I just a$$umed the hitch on the back was welded to the frame. Good call.

As for the weight, i again, didn’t think ~100lbs hanging off the back of a ~10k lb trailer would affect it that much. 🤷‍♂️

Guess I’ll look for a spot inside the trailer!

Thanks again!!

As for the weight, i again, didn’t think ~100lbs hanging off the back of a ~10k lb trailer would affect it that much. 🤷‍♂️
It might not....but then again....

Overall trailer weight isn't the concern, but tongue weight as a percentage of that is. I've been in the same boat as you....in my case, debating a way to mount my generator to the trailer. Rear bumper rack is the obvious answer....looks good on paper...but now that I've had a good look at the bumper.....no. Plus it tows like a dream, and I don't want to goof with that. So for now, the gennie goes in the back of the truck. I've debated relocating the battery box and mounting it on the tongue, but it would be opening Pandora's Box....

The truck box is great for stuff - there are places you can run cables and locks to secure stuff i would rather utilize the truck box than hang stuff off the back of a,trailer or even lug it in and out the trailer. When i had bumper pulls my truck box was always full lol

The truck box is great for stuff - there are places you can run cables and locks to secure stuff i would rather utilize the truck box than hang stuff off the back of a,trailer or even lug it in and out the trailer. When i had bumper pulls my truck box was always full lol
I've contemplated building a bracket to mount and lock the generator in the bed of the truck and leaving it in there all the time. Put on a cover to protect it from the elements....not like it ever rains here anyway LOL

Lol they always put crappy hose holders on , i made one with a 6inch pvc sewer pipe with 2 screw caps, 1 on each end.so i can fit all my sewer hoses and fittings in.
Add that to my mod list for this fall. Too dang hot to be making changes to the trailer right now. Nearly burned my bum sitting on the concrete long enough to install the TPMS sensors.

I get that bigger is better but I shop for portability.

We have an electric grill we carry around when we have hook ups. Good enough for a couple of big steaks.

We also carry a bowl type fire pit and have grilled on that. It is about to give up the ghost and I am looking at something like this that will break down and store in a basement locker then modifying the coach propane supply for a hook up.

Sorry for the thread drift but I think the jury is in on whether a hitch mount is suitable for the Kamodo.

Flame King Knock Down Grill

Hello,

I'm looking for a hitch carrier to hold my Komodo Joe Jr on the back of our TT... looking for idea's and what others have done.. I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking, but the grill is 28" tall and I can't find anything like this over 24". I don't want a 70lb grill coming loose, and it's an awkward shape so a box of some sort is desirable.

Any help is appreciated!

We have a TT, not an Audi. :)

View attachment 155806
What someone else said. Most trailers the tin foil bumper is good for about 10 pounds if that.
An thoe carriers.. Most hitches are 500 pounds or less for that type of load LESS in the case of the cargo carrier due to torque.

If you do put a carrier on the back, consider getting a rear camera for the TT to keep an eye on it. My hitch maxes at 300 lbs. just put a bicycle rack on the back on my 5th wheel. Bought a camera system today. Makes me nervous when I can’t see back there. If one of the bikes come off into a vehicle behind, could be a bad lawsuit. Not taking the chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom