Hitch options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FDPDED

I looked around but didn't see a similar post. I apologize if it has been answered before.
see pics, for my hitch.
131930.jpg is the view from under the hitch.
131934.jpg is from behind. the view from the front is similar only the hole is square, I accidentally deleted it.
131940.jpg is the side view.
My question is what options do I have to make attaching the safety chains easier?
currently I'm going through the hole in the bottom and out the front. but the hook barely fits and it is a pain to get off.
I was thinking of a shackle, but seems like that isn't the best option for this configuration.
I'm confident there is something obvious I just don't know about.
I appreciate any thoughts you all might have.

Attachments

• 20220830_131930.jpg
    20220830_131930.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220830_131934.jpg
    20220830_131934.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220830_131940.jpg
    20220830_131940.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 22
First thing is, safety chains are required to have a minimum rating for the Gross weight of the trailer, this includes the hooks. Then the type is chosen, hooks to fit your hitch openings indicate an "S" hook might work.
This safety chain is rated @ 10,000# for each chain. I assume your trailer weighs less than 20,0000#.
That website also sells safety chains with lower ratings, as appropriate.

I'll look at that info. the S hook you linked would be easier. the hook we have now has a spring loaded gate and it JUST fits through the opening at 1 specific angle.
our unit is right around 2,000 LB. So I am not terribly worried about finding a solution that is strong enough.
Truly, thank you for the advice.

Tow vehicle is 2019 Ram 1500.
Good option, just further shows how dumb I am. I work with carabiners frequently in the rescue world. I have several that are 11k lbs rated. I'll see if that fits better.

Leave the carabiners hooked to the truck and hook the chains to them. Odd that you have that setup as I have a 2018 1500 and it has a whole different setup for the chains.

A standard safety chain S hook with spring clip should clip onto that oblong slot in your second photo.

I'll look at that info. the S hook you linked would be easier. the hook we have now has a spring loaded gate and it JUST fits through the opening at 1 specific angle.
our unit is right around 2,000 LB. So I am not terribly worried about finding a solution that is strong enough.
Truly, thank you for the advice.
There are plenty of 1/2" shackles that exceeds your needs. Most are around 2,000lb working weight. But check these out, which are 3 ton.

FWIW, I use two connected together bringing the connection down further because my hitch points are way too far under and the hole is way too small, for some reason.
I use them on my Ford, since for some reason the newer trucks are configured with a new version of a stock hitch that creates a similar problem.
But if you wish to overkill and have a bigger loop, buy the 3/4" shackles. They are a bit more expensive. But for peace of mind I sometimes overkill.

My choice would be to install some suitable connector, e.g. shackle, carabiner, threaded chain link, etc., and leave it in place. Whatever of those (or combination of those) makes it more easily accessible. Then snap your existing chain to that when needed.

Here's one from Curt Mfg, the trailer hitch people.

Most people use hammer links to hook to the new hitches, esp on Fords, with too small of a hole. just be sure and get one rated as high as the chain and hooks.

G80 Alloy Steel Hammerlock Coupling Link Connecting Link, 1/2", Red Painted, 12000 lbs Working Load Limit

71ZtR5Y9YzL._SL1500_.jpg

Charles

Back
Top Bottom