Holy snake bite, Batman!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molaker

Interesting day today.  We spent the night at Buffalo Point National Forest campground on the Buffalo River in north central Arkansas.  Beautiful place, especially for canoers and kayakers.  As we were leaving, we stopped at an parking area that provided good visual access to the river with an impressive several hundred foot high bluff on the far side.  Between the parking area and river, a broad clean gravel bar.  I wanted some photos.  As we approached, I noticed a large stack of "stuff" beside the road.  "Stuff" being some camping items and several large cooler-size plastic tubs.  Walking up the path from the gravel bar was a 30ish looking fellow carrying more "stuff".  I looked on past him to the river where a couple of canoes were beached with more "stuff" sitting beside them.  About halfway up the gravel bar were a couple of lawn chairs where another fellow sat, seemingly just doing nothing.  It was about then this fellow doing the sitting sort of rolled out of the chair and started very slowly crawling on hands and knees on up the gravel bar toward the parking area.  It appeared he may have injured himself so I called out to ask if I could be of assistance.  The fellow carrying "stuff" said they could manage.  It was then I noticed the crawler had only one shoe on.  I asked what had happened and was told he had been bitten by a cottonmouth snake.  He was crawling on his hands and knees instead of hopping with assistance because if he exerted himself and elevated his heart rate he would become nauseous and would vomit.  So, he crawled.  Very slowly on his hands and knees.  There was little I could do to assist.  I did ask if the park rangers knew of his plight and he said they did.  He had been bitten at 8 pm the night before.  EMTs had been summoned by the rangers, but the guy refused to be carted off in an ambulance.  I don't know if it was because of the cost or what.  They indicated they were being met by someone to take them and their "stuff" from the park and, I assume, the injured fellow to the hospital.  I don't know if the guy was tough or stupid or both.  As I said, an interesting day.

I finally got some photos downloaded of the snake bitten fellow.

Attachments

• 2014_10_08_13_15_27s.jpg
    2014_10_08_13_15_27s.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 2014_10_08_13_24_48s.jpg
    2014_10_08_13_24_48s.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 159
Two things strike me as odd about this fella. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind, who had been bitten by a cottonmouth the night before, refuse help via an ambulance. Secondly, I think cottonmouth snakes are deadlier than copperheads or rattlers. I can tell his foot is swollen in the picture, but why refuse help? I don't get it. What am I missing?

rskrbina said:
Two things strike me as odd about this fella. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind, who had been bitten by a cottonmouth the night before, refuse help via an ambulance. Secondly, I think cottonmouth snakes are deadlier than copperheads or rattlers. I can tell his foot is swollen in the picture, but why refuse help? I don't get it. What am I missing?
I suspect they didn't want to pay for an ambulance.  It would likely have been several thousand dollars since it was some distance to the nearest hospital.  Also, the EMTs apparently were too insistant.  But, that's just speculation. They didn't say why and I didn't ask.  However, cottonmouth snakes are not more deadly than rattlers.  The location of the bite and size of the snake certainly come into play.  This guy was bitten on his foot and it appeared to be a relatively small snake as the puncture marks were pretty close together.  But, who knows.  Maybe his religion was one of those that doesn't believe in medical care.

If you ever come across me out there in that situation..... CALL A HELICOPTER!

Man, it takes all kinds in this world.......

Greetings,

You have to watch out for the Mojove Greens in the southwest. Those will kill you.

The smaller snakes can be the worst strikes. The young snakes don't know how to control the amount of venom they release .  Cotton mouth strikes are rarely fatal.  But yeah I agree bring in the Helo and get me to some help. lol

Irover said:
  X3 Just watch out for bears! bears will kill you! This guy must think he is invincible!

Looks like most of the black bear population is well east of Tucson, then some south by the boarder and further north. In any case, bear confrontations aren't a good thing. Looks like bear attacks are very rare though.

If I ever get bitten by a snake, there will be no need to call an ambulance or helicopter.  Just go ahead and call a hearse, because I'll die immediately. Won't even have to be poisonous. I'm deathly AFRAID of them. ALL of them. And I live in Arkansas. Give me tornados, crazy guys with guns, bears, zombies . . . anything but snakes. :eek:

Regarding the victim of the snake bite.

It is my understanding that a single snake bite (any snake native North America such as a Cottonmouth or rattler) can not kill a healthy adult,, The elderly, perhaps, the very young (And still small) perhaps, but a healthy adult supposedly not.

That said it can make you very very sick. As the victim demonstrated.

That said, if you fear snakes... Perhaps you should move to Hawaii... There is a book (Title: Snakes of Hawaii) which is considered to be one of the most comprehensive and accurate books every written what's more it contains not a single typo.

All the pages are blank.. The only Snakes in Hawaii walk on 2 legs and smile and talk and try to get elected to office. (Sadly those snakes are native to everywhere)

Hi John and all,

From what I have read the Mojave Greens won't kill you right away but if you delay getting anti toxin, your chances are not good. Their venom is 16 times stronger than the sidewinders! They are responsible for a few deaths each year. Mainly those who thought they didn't need to get medical attention. I've read up on these because I like to hike around the desert. Something to protect you from bites are in order. Here is some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus

http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/mojave-green-rattlesnake.html

Best!

Al, and what's worse is that some folks are naturally sensitive to snake venom, or bee stings, or poison Ivy or .... (Long list of things that bite sting or hurt).

So even though they tell me that a single snake bite can not kill a HEALTHY adult human...  Many of us have hidden health issues.

I have a sister, for example.  To me a bee sting is kind of like a mosquito bite on her.  and on her a bee sting is 9-1-1 Emergency level emergency (Actually now days.. She can carry an Epi-Pen and self medicate and then take civilian transport to the doctor/hospital but when she was a child that was not an option... Mother burned rubber getting her to doctor).

Same I'm sure is true of snakes.. What is a shrug off for one may well be a major emergency for the person next to them.

Maybe the snakebite victim is wanted by the law and was afraid that he would be recognized if taken by ambulance to a major hospital.  OR maybe his girlfriend's husband is the attending physician, or even one of the EMT's. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bullfrog1954
Back
Top Bottom