Honda EU2200 Companion by itself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David T

I have a Coleman-Mach 13,500 btu AC on which I will be installing Colman-Mach's Soft Start kit.

I intend to buy one Honda EU2200 inverter generator to run the unit. I do not foresee the need for two units running in parallel.

That said, is there any advantage to getting the Companion version with the 30 amp receptacle (recognizing that I need a conversion plug/dog bone for the RV style plug AND it's only 15 amp when not connected in parallel to another EU2200)?

Thanks for your input.

A lot might depend on how often you will be camping without a shore power hookup capable of running the A/C. If it will only be occasionally I would not spend the money on that particular brand. Like it has been mentioned in other threads there a lot of other brands offering inverter generators that are really good quality. Home Depot has a 4650 watt generator with remote start for under $900 and the pull start is under $750. I for one have the pull start one and it worked great the few times we had to use it at parks without power. We no longer have a TT so it has been relegated to an emergeny backup to my backup now and only use it if I want to run power tools a long way from my garage.

I am pretty sure I have seen in prior threads the soft start install does allow a 2200 watt generator to run it but If you are planning on using it full time or even on a fairly regular basis I would think a bigger one with a longer run time would be better. If weight is an issue I would think 2 smaller ones linked together would work as well.

I have had an EU2200i for several years, now. it ran my 13.5K btu A/C just fine, without a soft start. I did install a soft start anyways, so I could run off an inverter. Don't listen to people that have never owned one or have experience with generators. As far as the companion model, it's your choice. No real difference.

There's no advantage to using the 30 amp socket vs. the 15 amp one, the generator is only rated at 1800 watts (15 amps) continuous so either socket is sufficient. Just plug your 20 amp to 30 amp pigtail into the 15 amp socket.

I read that it is safer to use the 30 amp plug. Granted, I'm no electrical wiz, and these guys may or may not know what they're talking about but I went with the companion after reading stuff like this...

This is from the Lance forum. " A 30 amp 'rated' receptacle, that to be rated as such, has more brass on the contact surfaces. Thus, a higher rated connection is less likely to generate heat than a 15 amp receptacle when transmitting nearly or sometimes more than the 15 amps our camper's air conditioners are asking of the generator."
Also "More than that, if you are running high amperage currents through the 15 amp circuit for an extended time it will often overheat and shut down, even though you have not exceeded the rating. Our shore power plug and the 30 amp outlet receptacle is not going to overheat at any output the stand alone generator is capable of producing."

None unless you later buy a second unit.
I'm that kind of guy. If the companion feature is relatively cheap, I would keep my options open.

I had a 2200 until Honda came out with the 3200.

Hmmm - Weird the unit you linked to was $2600. The 2200 is around $1,000. I would buy 2 X 2200 units knowing I had flexibility to link them or separate them for different uses.

We have an old pair of Honda 2000's from 2004 and they have been used alone or as a pair. They have been used for boondocking, storm back up(16 hurricanes so far) and powering equipment in the yard. Upkeep is minimal and fuel use and sound are minimal. No reason the 2200's should not do as well.

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone new reads my original post, please be encourage to provide your input if there is any advantage to using a Companion version by itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom