Hoover Dam Hold Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,873
Location
Goodyear, AZ
We left Death Valley today for home (Goodyear, AZ) and routed ourselves thru Pahrump, LV, the Hoover Dam and Kingman. However we got hit by a triple whammy that held us up at the Dam for 5 hours. When we were on the downhill approach to the Dam, about 5 miles out, trafiic started backing up. It took about an hour to get to the RV inspection station just before the dam. When we got there we were told that a dump truck carrying rocks lost an axle right in the middle of the dam. Shortly thereafter an RV crashed. Both incidents caused debris in both lanes so only one lane of traffic across the dam was possible and large RVs would not be able to negotiate the lane changes. We were told they expected to have it cleared in 15-20 minutes so we parked and had lunch. After an hour we heard that it was taking longer and it would be another 1/2 hour. An hour later we asked again and were given an ETA of 1- 1/2 hours. After another hour we were told we should be moving in 15 minutes. A half hour later they said to start warming the engines, we would be moving in 5 minutes. A half hour later, a wrecker came by with the dump truck body and we finally started to move in another few minutes. The backup from AZ to NV was about 9 miles long as we drove out. A shame that the sign board in Boulder Ci
 

Jim Godward

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Posts
5,906
Location
Hillsboro, Oregon
Bernie,

>>Hopefully we'll be home in time for you to pick us up  <<

Better tell me where!  VBG  We are at the Cotton Lane RV Park.  Phone is our cell #!  VBG
 

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,873
Location
Goodyear, AZ
James Godward said:
Better tell me where!  VBG  We are at the Cotton Lane RV Park.  Phone is our cell #!  VBG

Lorna told us you were staying at Cotton Lane, that's just a couple of miles south of us. Send me your cell # via email or PM, I only have your Belgrade #.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,783
Location
Davison Michigan
When I came across the dam there was no hold up, however it's very narrow there (the new bypass will be much nicer in that respect) and it would not take much to close the road

What I'd like to know is what the dump truck was doing there,,, thought they disallowed that kind of traffic

Of course.. I've got my own story of woe now, look for it elsewhere
 

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,873
Location
Goodyear, AZ
John In Detroit said:
When I came across the dam there was no hold up, however it's very narrow there (the new bypass will be much nicer in that respect) and it would not take much to close the road

What I'd like to know is what the dump truck was doing there,,, thought they disallowed that kind of traffic

Of course.. I've got my own story of woe now, look for it elsewhere

John

I'd much rather go thru what we did than what you did :mad: :mad:

The dump truck was a contruction vehicle carrying rocks for fill for that new bridge. Construction traffic is allowed over the dam.
 

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
S Dakota
Bernie,

We tried to warn you!

Saw you headed down the hill as we were headed into Las Vegas coming up the hill. We saw that the two tow trucks were about a mile ahead of you.

Called your cell but got no answer. Sorry!

ken
 

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,873
Location
Goodyear, AZ
Ken & Sheila said:
Bernie,

We tried to warn you!

Saw you headed down the hill as we were headed into Las Vegas coming up the hill. We saw that the two tow trucks were about a mile ahead of you.

Called your cell but got no answer. Sorry!

Ken

Thanks for the attempt but our cell was in a dead zone. We heard that you tried at the HT mini-rally. Were you in the coach or car?
 

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Posts
3,815
Location
S Dakota
BernieD said:
Ken

Thanks for the attempt but our cell was in a dead zone. We heard that you tried at the HT mini-rally. Were you in the coach or car?

Bernie,

We were in the coach headed to Las Vegas for a Funeral. Decided no to fly after flying to Vegas the week prior for a Furniture Show (World Furniture Market). We could have almostwalked home faster than the flight.

ken
 

BernieD

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Posts
5,873
Location
Goodyear, AZ
Sheila

I saw this crazy lady waving at me, didn't recognize either you or the coach, even thought the coach was a class C, just had too many things that I was looking at ;D ;D. At the same time I'm not sure I would have been able to turn around at that point. It was frustrating being in line, but just parking at the inspection area was an easy way to spend the delay. Got to where we were headed that nite anyways and met 2-3 other couples from our parking area ;)
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
118,459
Posts
1,187,108
Members
123,020
Latest member
Debarnold12
Top Bottom