hot rod is rod sacrificial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

touk

1) is hot rod also sacrificial when replacing into soburban waterheater with only one connector adapter 2)if so is the rod replaceable 3) will ordinary heater element{home depot etc) also act as a sacrificial zinc 4 ) if so any idea how many hours it would last before it burns through. Thank You John

A water heater electric heating element and a sacrificial anode rod are not the same and perform different functions.

The Hott Rod heat element is not sacrificial, at least not by design. The heat element is stainless steel, not a sacrificial metal such as magnesium. However, the reducing bushing used with Suburban heaters is calimed to function as a sacrificial anode. It's much smaller than a dedicated anode, though, and ihas realtively little surface exposed to the water. It's unclear how effective it would be.

I've not seen any components of a Hott Rod sold separately. It comes as a complete kit.

No other heater element acts a s a sacrificial anode either. Regardless of where you buy it. The element is an entirely different thing than an anode. How long will an element last? Depends on the pH of the water, the potential for electrolysis in the tank, and how often it is in use. In other words, anywhere from weeks to years.

The anode in my last trailer HW tank was eaten up in about a year or so. I replaced it annually. My present trailer has a tank that doesn't require and anode. I installed a Hott Rod Kit and love it. I clean the minerals off the heating element a couple times a year but there is no pitting or any other deterioration of the heating element rod. I don't think I would install a non anode heating element in a tank that requires an anode.

Sacrificial anode like zinc anode rod works as an auxiliary anode, water heater or water tank works as cathode, they forms a protection system in the water of water heater which also service as conducting medium. When electricity pass through electrode, the Cl- in water moves towards anode and concentrate there, the Cl- in the cathode side will become dilution. The water heater tank as cathode in reductive environment, this can shorten the corrosion speed of tank and expand its life span.

have installed unit last November
If your water heater is from Atwood it has an aluminum tank and does not need any anode. If it is from Suburban it is steel and does need an anode. Atwood voids the warranty to use one and Suburban voids the warranty if you do not use one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1776
Back
Top Bottom