Houston to the Northwest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morpheus

I am on a trip in a small "c" motorhome (Phoenix Cruiser) pulling a boat. I left Canyon Texas headed to Waheep Campground. First night was in Milan New Mexico at the K Bar RV park. It was all gravel with pet area about 6 foot wide and 40 feet lone. Sort of a joke. Rates were good and people running it were very friendly. Getting there was a problem. I-40 in New Mexico is horrible. There is a pothole every 100 feet and the only smooth track is in the middle of the lane. After leaving Milan I again fought I-40 to Gallup. Turned on 491 then to 264 on to Tuba City. I guess the scenary was pretty, but I had to watch the road to stay out of the potholes. The roads in New Mexico and Arizona are terrible, BUT with the trillions of dollars on infrastructure that has been allocated, they will be up to par in no time. Got to Waheep and the park is great. Concrete spots. The check in was closed at 4:00pm and when a lady came out to stick a "choose your own spot" I got her to find my assigned spot. She did say that the electricity would be turned off from 4pm to 12am. Wonder why being so close to a power generating station. She had no more info but did say she was sorry. So, all was good. In reality the power was off for about 2 hours starting at 6pm. This is the first leg of a trip from Houston to Clarkston Idaho and to Washington and Montana. We are at Waheep for four days to explore Lake Powel and enjoy being retired. Hope it goes as planned. Morpheus

I know what you mean about the roads, we traveled from western Louisiana to that area in 2019 (spent 3 nights at Wahweap campground ) though we went through Sante Fe, Chama, and across on US 64 to get there.

light ribbing perhaps...
Good!! I can take it. This is the first time I have made a trip after retiring two years ago. I lived in Montana for seven years and did a few trips.

Today the wife and I put the boat in Lake Powell and did some exploring. This is a beautiful place. I have seen many videos on the place but in person it is 100% better. The Wahweep RV park is very good even with the two hour electric shut down. IT was 89 degrees today, but in the shade it was comfortable. In Houston 89 in the shade ain't cool and sweating is still going on.

Well, I have spent 4 days at Lake Powell exploring the lake. First off, this lake is huge. The two places I really wanted to see was too far from Wahweep to go there and return. In a video the author said it was 73 miles from Wahweep. One thing I did not expect was that with so much boat traffic the main lanes would be so rough. There are huge house boats and even though they travel slow, they push a lot of water. The wake boats create large wakes and these wakes travel to the walls of the lanes, return and the water gets choppy. But in some of the branches off the main lake the walls come in and it is beautiful. In the wide areas the scenery is fantastic.
Friday, we traveled to Lees Ferry in the Colorado River to put the boat in and cruise up the river to just below the damn. We got there about 1200pm and so did about 300 people that were going to do a rafting trip/trips. There were so many people and two of the four launch lanes were taken over by people that did not move. There were people all over the place and getting the boat launched was so big a hassel that we abandoned the trip. This is a shame, because the water is clear, and you could see the fish in the water.
If you get a chance to visit Lake Powell, take it. The scenery is like no other. If you are going in the middle of the summer, it is likely to be crowed so make reservations as soon as possible. Wahweep RV park is really nice. It is $93.00 for full hookups.

You need to post a few photos if you took any. Shame it was so busy that you had to abandon plans.

It sounds like prices have went up since we were there in 2019, I just looked up my email receipt and we paid $204 for 3 nights total with tax

We left Wahweep yesterday and traveled to Nephi, UT and stayed at Rolling Home RV. This place is nice. Asphalt parking places and full hookups. Grass between spaces. No trees, but a good place to spend the night. We went to Kanab, UT up Hwy 89 to Hwy 20 and crossed the mountains to I-15 to Nephi. Good roads with moderate traffic. Regular gas in Kanab was $4.09.

Back
Top Bottom