How all troopers should handle left lane slow drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ha ha ha  You guys might sprain your tongues getting them out of your cheeks. Loved the humor.  ;D

Here's how we handle the situation in NC.

Attachments

• New Interstate signage.jpg
    New Interstate signage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 55
While towing, I stay in the right lane doing 60-62 in 65 mph zones.  I'm often the only one in the lane and am passing cars in the other 2 lanes that are going slower than me.  The things that irritate me most is the slow driver in the right lane that speeds up while you are trying to pass him and slows down when you give up, and the drivers that speed down the entrance lane to get ahead of you and slow down right in front of you when they hit the highway.  Yield signs on entrance ramps are the most ignored signs..

elliott-maine said:
While towing, I stay in the right lane doing 60-62 in 65 mph zones.  I'm often the only one in the lane and am passing cars in the other 2 lanes that are going slower than me.  The things that irritate me most is the slow driver in the right lane that speeds up while you are trying to pass him and slows down when you give up, and the drivers that speed down the entrance lane to get ahead of you and slow down right in front of you when they hit the highway.  Yield signs on entrance ramps are the most ignored signs..

Be careful of the state you are towing in -- for example, in California if you are towing "anything" the speed limit is 55mph, and you must be in the far right lane unless passing.

I agree with the lack of the proper way to enter a freeway -- and that is probably my pet peeve with other drivers. Most will slow down, sometimes to an almost stop and wait for an opening. I, on the other hand, am trying to figure out what they might do next - should I slow down to let them enter or speed up to just get out of their way.

An on ramp should be treated just like changing lanes - so speed should be increased to that of the traffic in the right lane. Then, just as when a car is moving into your lane otherwise, I can slow as necessary to let them in, or make a decision that I am passed their entry point and speed up a bit to give them room behind me. Of course, some on ramps are not long enough to do that properly, but however long, the concept is still the same.

Guess I am a little late to the party but I sure read a lot of posts from misinformed people or at least those who 'assume' they know the law for their state.  Some do and most don't in this case.  The last 10 years of my working days were spent as a drivers license examiner for cars, trucks and motorcycles.  In that state (ND) we were in the same division as the Highway Patrol and worked closely with them.  At the time (and still) it was the law to not IMPEDE traffic by driving in the left lane (worded better in the law) and the Highway Patrol could care less which lane you drove in as long as you were not impeding traffic which meant (generally) move to the right if someone wanted to pass.  But YOU WERE LEGAL to pass on the right if you wished so no problem if a driver was in the left and a mile or two lower than you (you were probably speeding anyway).  Things have changed in some states but there are a lot of exceptions now - most involving moving to the LEFT when a law officer is stopped on the right shoulder with the flashing lights on.  Also, when anticipating merges at on ramps, it is best to move left if possible to allow for smooth merges.  I could go on and on but the point is nobody is an expert on the matter and those that claim driving in the left lane is a heinous crime need to take a second look at their own driving habits.  Hopefully, also Michigan will smooth out some of those right lanes so my uppers don't swap places with my lowers.

Bill you are so right, we do have some terrible roads up here. I see your a fan of the Chicago, I mean, St. Louis Cardinals. ::)

I thought it was a national regulation (law) that passing on the right is permissible...If you want to ride on my bumper expect a fake brake check..

EEL said:
I thought it was a national regulation (law) that passing on the right is permissible...If you want to ride on my bumper expect a fake brake check..
Driving laws are all handled at the state level. There are no national regulations that I know of. Passing on the right is legal but you are responsible if there is an accident in most states.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom