How bad is rust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I have seen lots of talk about rust on the frame lately.  Is rusting frame something to worry about?  Is there some kind of regular maintenance that can be done with a Class A motorhome to minimize rust?

Check out this link:

http://www.leslie.39w.photos.us.com/c405498.html

Do those pictures indicate a bad rust problem?

Smoky,

Motorhome manufacturers have only begun addressing the problem of chassis rust in the last couple of years by treating the frame before assembly.? Before that they would spray a cheap black paint that in most cases did not have anti rust or anti corrosive properties.?

Since buying our 1998 American Dream, I have always kept a quart of a top quality, proven rust inhibiting paint on board, and whenever I am under the coach performing routine maintenance apply a coat of paint to the frame or touch up portions where the paint may have come off.

Not all paint containing the word "anti rust" are rust inhibitors, so choose a proven product.

Exposure to road salt and or grave roads will exacerbate the problem....we have all see the effects of road salt on coaches used by snowbirds who travel from the north in the middle of winter.

Rust can be a serious problem and should be treated pro actively...unless you coach is a recent model in which the chassis has received treatment.

Dealer applied undercoating is a waste of money and does not prevent rust

Smoky,

corrosion is a fact of life.  We have had no prblems with rust on the Eagle.  However like Steve I do look it over and take corrective action if I did see anything.  Having said that I never had any problems with corrosion on either of the Bounders we owned either.  Keep in mind we nerer drive in the winter in areas where the state or providence stupidly apply salt to the roads.  Hopefully any of the framily that have had a corrosion problem will give their opinion.

{{You shouldn't be driving your rig in cemeteries anyway  }}

It took me a while to figure out the reference, but when I did, it gave me a good laugh.  Thanks for noticing and for the good chuckle. 

Smoky

>>Do those pictures indicate a bad rust problem?<<

That looks serious like it has spent a lot of time on salted roads or by the ocean without hosing the underside off. On my Country Coach they build their own chassis & spray it before any parts go on & I have little a surface rust on some bolts but they don't spray the brake drums or HWH arms, which leaves me to think that this owner never maintained his underside.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Terry,
I have to agree with you. Also, I would check out what is causing the leak that shows up in the pictures of the right front wheel area. Shock absorber? Brake line/cylinder? You can see that it has dripped onto the wheel rim itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom