How do I plug it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madimas

Ok - we just bought a used camper and I have a simple question. The 30 amp cord doesn't fit (I want to test the A/C). Can I simply plug it in to an 110v outlet? How do I get the plug (30 amp) to fit the standard outlet?

You can buy an adaptor that is 30-amp plug female to 110v plug three-prong male for a couple of dollars at almost any camping store.  WalMart may have them in the RV section of their auto department, but I don't know for sure.  Home Depot or Lowes may have them.

If your AC is too big, you may pop the circuit breaker on your 110v outlet.

Will this adaptor also be required to plug in to a portable generator?
Is this the best / only way to plug in to home or portable generator?

madimas said:
Will this adaptor also be required to plug in to a portable generator?
Is this the best / only way to plug in to home or portable generator?

Depends on the genset.  A 120VAC three prong plug will do it but a three prong RV 30amp plug would be better.

At home, the best way to plug it in is to have a 30 RV outlet box installed and use the cord of your RV without adapters.  Be sure to have the outlet box switched.  An RV always starts under load so if you plug it into a live outlet, you will get arcing and that can eventually burn your prongs.  I use a 20 amp circuit and switch in my garage  -- it can even handle my A/C tho being at home, I don't use it.  Cools down the fridge and charges the batteries which is all I need at home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom