How do I remove glue from a removed decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just tried mayonnaise. Had to just in case it would have worked.  NOPE.

This decal was really burnt from the sun real bad. Now I'm starting to think that maybe it got burnt right into the finish and the only way to remove the indications is by buffing. The decal had 1000's of tiny cracks in it and these cracks appear to show up on the finish. It's nothing you can feel with your finger nails. It may be oxidation and the only way to remove it is like I said is buffing. When I run my hand over the area, there is no stickyness or any friction. The surface is smooth.

Rene T said:
I just tried mayonnaise. Had to just in case it would have worked.  NOPE.

This decal was really burnt from the sun real bad. Now I'm starting to think that maybe it got burnt right into the finish and the only way to remove the indications is by buffing. The decal had 1000's of tiny cracks in it and these cracks appear to show up on the finish. It's nothing you can feel with your finger nails. It may be oxidation and the only way to remove it is like I said is buffing. When I run my hand over the area, there is no stickyness or any friction. The surface is smooth.

More than likely a stain, buffing probably will not get rid of the stain, but only serve to worsen the area. I really hate stickers on paint or fiberglass.

Thanks to everyone especially you Tom.
I just wanted to let everyone know what I used to remove the decal initially. 3M makes a decal removal eraser which is powered by a electric drill. It cost at least $30.00.  I went to my local NAPA store and they do sell them but had a eraser for more than 1/2 the price by another company. That's what I bought.  It's made by Astro Pneumatic Tool Company. Item #400E.  My Napa used that same item #.  It cost me $12.99 and it worked great.
I do a final post when I see what the outcome of buffing does.

I completely stripped all the decals from our 1998 Chateau two yrs ago. Some were extremely dry/burnt/cracked. My final combo of ingredients/tools was acetone, plastic razor blades and scotchbrite. When the surface looked brown and cracked I lightly used the scotchbrite with acetone. Then, used my buffer with a 1000 grit liquid polish going to 2000 grit polish and then the wax of your choice polished with the buffer. If the finished area isn't acceptable you can always have a new decal made or paint on a stripe.

Here's how the Ol' girl looked when done.
Oops,got it on there twice. I can't believe I got it to work in the first place!

Attachments

• 0904151642 (640x480).jpg
    0904151642 (640x480).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 0904151642 (640x480).jpg
    0904151642 (640x480).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks! It was no easy task removing EVERYTHING! No, we had a place in Arizona make up totally new ones. We wanted it to have more current graphics. There was some shadowing from the old ones, but not bad when kept waxed.

It can be restored through sanding and polishing. However, if it has become too severe, the only thing to do is peel it off the surface of the RV and put in new ones.

The removal of decals usualy destroys them, however some of the adhesive can remain...

Rapid Remover, https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Remover-Adhesive-Graphics-Stripes/dp/B006RUJ2D8 , works fast without causing damage to most surfaces. After removing lettering, spray any glue residue with Rapid Remover and let it penetrate for 30-60 seconds. Rub the moistened adhesive with a sponge or rag, then rinse with water and wipe surface clean.

We used Power Cleaner + Nulift Cleaner to remove carpet glue residue. We scrape it, used knife but it's so tough. You can try it out

Rapid Remover works but it is slow. We use a mastic & adhesive remover when we remove vehicle wraps that have been on over 5 years.

At our winter site it warmed up and we got a bunch of big drops of tree sap on the truck and the trailer awning. I can't remember what I was trying but it wasn't working. A friend came by and said, "Anytime I have glue of anything sticky that is hard to get off I use peanut butter and a damp rag. I thought he was joking. He asked if I had peanut butter, we did. I brought it out. and it worked like magic. Rub the peanut butter around with a damp rage on the sap glob then wipe it off with a wet clean rag...Magic! Should work on glue I would think. My friend said they use peanut butter to get gum out of his kids hair...takes it right out...he says.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom