How do you challenge a 12 year old fall in love with nature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stella

"I dont like the RV - it is too luxurious"
That is what our twelve year old daughter told us over the weekend as we planned our second outing in our Vortex.

When I asked her to expand on why she thought that, her response was that we should be roughing it and learning to survive in the wild. Keep in mind this girl never really left the tent when we were tent camping and complains as if abused if taken even on a short hike.

Unfortunately her attitude stems more from the loss of internet and iDevices when we are out camping than a genuine wish to commune with the outdoors. She actually told us we could learn to survive by playing video games.

We really want her to fall in love with nature like we have, and her other sisters love the RV. At first we thought we would make her dig a latrine for herself next trip- but really it should not be about punishment. It should be helping her find joy in the outdoors.

Any suggestions on how to help her fall in love with the real world?

Skip the matches too.  Get a magnesium flint and have her start the fire with that.  This will keep her busy for a while and she might actually enjoy the challenge.

I like appealing to her with a challenge. :) I will look into that for sure!

I've also noticed that if my older kids (12&15) get to take a friend along, their attitude changes immensely.  If at all possible, leave the phones and I pads at home and disable the TV.

IrishBrewer: That is a FANTASTIC suggestion!  I will have her ask a friend along. This is something I never would have thought of at all. We already ban all computer/iDevices and the TV cable does not work which we really do not mind. Sadly she gets her internet addiction from us as well. We all need to UNPLUG. Thank God for RVs!

I bought my 5 year old grandson a pair of binoculars and a basic kid's birding book. Now, 18 months later, he begs to be taken hiking. He can recognize many bird species, and is even learning some of the calls.

The hard part was finding a suitable binocular. Most of those that are made for kids are pure garbage. The optics are terrible and shouldn't be inflicted on anybody. Adult binoculars don't fit small hands, and so are hard for a kid to focus. Worse, the interpupillary distance usually can't be adjusted small enough.

I finally discovered the Leupold Yosemite. It has excellent optics, is reasonably priced, and was specifically designed for kids. For most kids, I would suggest the 6x30 version. Pete Dunne, the director of the Cape May Bird Observatory said "When they finally take stock of the greatest human achievements of all time, the Yosemite 6x30 binocular will rank among the top ten--right up there with the wheel, the Guttenberg press, democracy, and ice cream. A real birder-worthy binocular, built to fit birders young and old, that retails for around $100."
See his entire review at http://featheredgeoptics.com/petespick-binoculars.htm. Also, see http://www.optics4birding.com/leupold-yosemite-binoculars-review.aspx

Perhaps letting her decide on a dinner menu item to cook one night on a grill outdoors.
Maybe even incorporate something from the surrounding Eco system into that dinner.

Geocaching is good for kids too.  They have to learn to follow directions, use a GPS and it could combine their smartphone.  Check www.geocaching.com, they have apps for smartphones, so no need to purchase a dedicated GPS.

Combine technology and nature.

Download nature guides on an ipad or ipod or smart phone or whatever you have. You use those guides to identify birds, trees, butterflies, wildflowers, mammals, animal poop, and more.

The geocaching suggestion is a good one. Again, it combines technology and getting out into nature, visiting places you might not otherwise find.

If you're in National Parks, do the Junior Ranger bit. Many of those also combine nature and technology.

Wendy

Take her out INTO Nature.  When she finally figures out that the really strange sound she hears comes from a really strange bird--the Pilated Woodpecker, she should be well on her way.

Put up a bird feeder, then sit and watch them.  Discuss "how come" the Nuthatch goes down the tree when all of the others goes UP.

Worked for ME!

I would hope some of our National Parks might help introduce her to the wonders of our world. Here at Yellowstone you can watch the animals during the rut when they assert their dominance and pick their mates. To see bison and elk are wondrous and, when very lucky, you can watch the bears and wolves in their natural habitat.

Ranger led talks are also very informative and give one an idea of what is surrounding them in whatever wilderness you are at the moment. It might take some time but I think eventually children might learn to appreciate the surroundings much more when guided by the professionals that each park has for your benefit.

I think its a mostly a matter of luck, but you have to help the good luck along by exposing him/her to as many potential interests as possible. Point out birds and animals and plants, mentioning bits of trivia about the, to [hopefully] pique some curiosity. Utilizing tablet and phone apps is a good idea, too.

Having a friend along is a double edged sword, but definitely something to experiment with. The wrong friend can reinforce introverted or anti-social behavior but the right one will do the opposite. You have to take your chances with that too, but a friend is more likely to help than to hinder.

Last, if YOU aren't interested in at least some facets of Mother Nature, the kids won't be either. Lead by example.

Another thing you could try is to download a copy of the Army survival guide.  There are a lot of neat things to do in there and many of them are not difficult.  On one recent trip we made a basic teepee with fallen timber and tarps.  Learn to tie some basic and handy knots as this is a useful skill for camping and survival.  These things would be in line with her comment about needing to learn to survive in the wild.  I was wondering if she might be a fan of the hunger games series of books as this might inspire a young one to be thinking about outdoor survival skills.

How about fishing? Even if you do not fish yourself, many states have "Take a Kid Fishing Programs"  http://www.takemefishing.org/state/page  that can help you get them started. In most states, even nonresident juveniles do not need a license and as long as an adult does not end up doing the casting or holding the rod, the adult does not need a license. Many states have free fishing days/weekends when even nonresidents do not need a license. Fishing is fun, fish taste good and are good for you. It is also fun to find new ways to cook the fish over that fire your going to teach her to build by rubbing two sticks together.

I have tried to get my boy (now 22) interested in the outdoors since he was born.  The DW and I had his butt hunkered down in a tent camping when he was just a toddler.  He has absolutely no patience for fishing, hunting, grilling, reading, etc...

BUT, he can sit on his a** for a whole weekend straight, with only potty and food breaks, in front of his flat screen playing a bunch of kids from all over the world in a pretend war blowing up everything in sight!  Go figure!

How do we compete with technology? 

Might try tilting the agenda/venue toward "physical activities"... not only hiking but add bicycling, skiing, boarding, paddle boarding, wind surfing, ... the list can go on and on.  Some folks like the faster pace and "toys" to help "find joy in the outdoors".  Another approach is photography, trying to capture scenes "in the outdoors" that show her views and perspective... especially after Photoshop edits???  As an artist, you can offer insights in this area that many parents cannot.  In my experience, most "art" can be linked to the "real world"... whether it is outdoors or not.

Thanks for asking.

Well as I see it, you only have one option.  When they fightyo tooth, nail, and claw to get there own without making anyy sense what so ever, give her the laptop and find a good kennel for the week.  At least that way the rest of the family can enjoy themselves.  A bit harsh I admit but it works.  Once or twice and she will be glad to go and keep her mouth shut.

Stella said:
"I dont like the RV - it is too luxurious"
That is what our twelve year old daughter told us over the weekend as we planned our second outing in our Vortex.

When I asked her to expand on why she thought that, her response was that we should be roughing it and learning to survive in the wild. Keep in mind this girl never really left the tent when we were tent camping and complains as if abused if taken even on a short hike.

Unfortunately her attitude stems more from the loss of internet and iDevices when we are out camping than a genuine wish to commune with the outdoors. She actually told us we could learn to survive by playing video games.

We really want her to fall in love with nature like we have, and her other sisters love the RV. At first we thought we would make her dig a latrine for herself next trip- but really it should not be about punishment. It should be helping her find joy in the outdoors.

Any suggestions on how to help her fall in love with the real world?

Are you serious enough to go with her?  Well then here is an idea:  http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/  Look particularly at the Base Camp trips.  They sit in one place and day hike and have activities at the camp.  No backpacking needed.  Membership in the Sierra Club not required either. 

My son is still pretty young, but my brothers kids are older and more challenging.  My dad's tip that seemed to help was to get the kid involved in the planning and exicution of the activities.  Let them know where you are going to be and tell them they have to research the area and find things to do, and they each (in this case with only 1 kid maybe you can share this task?)  When the kids are invested they have more reason to get involved.  We never got to pick the actual destinations when I was a kid, but as my son gets older I can totally see us sitting down the three of us and figuring out where we were going and what we planned to do when we got there.

Jeff

All you need is a roll of duct tape and a sturdy tree. Don't forget to cover her mouth well to prevent the annoying whining.

Seriously, The geocaching idea is a great one. I have done it with my kids and since they are gone with my wife. All they need is a smartphone and some trinkets to trade for goodies in the cache.It is great treasure hunting fun and educational too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom