How do you clean your MH windshield?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

I have always tried to start a day of driving with a freshly cleaned windshield. Kinda fussy about it. So far I haven't come up with a really good way to do it on my Winnie Vectra DP that doesn't require a ladder which isn't a great option on a road trip.

looking for suggestions, no doubt someone has figured this out already.

mark in MN

There are long handled windsheld thingies at most truck stops

Fuller Brush used to sell a window washer's brush. This fit a standard handle (Well Their standard) that also fit a standard mop. this would and it had a squeegee so not only could it reach 10-12 feet up (Depending on your height) but was both wash and dry. now fuller brush can be hard to find (I had one by the way) but most janitorial supplies sell one much like it Professional window washers use it. and instead of a standard Screw in broom handle (like a push broom) you can use a telescoping painter's pole if you wish for even longer reach (They have the same thread) Not sure but suprised to find them at Lowes/Home Depot/Mennards I would not be.

Find one on Amazon I did

I use the aero wash kit, don't need the long brush in our case, but the cleaner works brilliantly.

71WU2IpZhhL._AC_SL278_QL70_.jpg

I use a squeegee with extension handle that I got from Amazon.

Out of all of the cleaners I have used in the last 25 years, I have settled on a plastic 6X12 plastic pan filled with hot water. Two extension poles, one with a soft bristle brush that I use to wash the bugs off, and the second is a squeegee head that I drape a hand towel over.

The towel is one I got from the DW that she replaced. I just recently went to a second extension pole, I was just unscrewing the brush to put the squeegee head on, but that was taking more time than washing the window.

I also do the fiberglass under the window, and the backs of the rear view mirrors (mine are chrome). The whole process takes about 30 minutes or so.

I try to wash them as part of the usual set up, unless the sun is beating on the front, then I will wait until dusk or the next morning. The sooner you get them off, the easier.

Yup, Kirk has the tool. I got mine a local wally world a couple years ago. Extendable handle so it packs away easily.

I use a windshield cleaner that has a nylon mesh on one side and squeegee on the other, with an extendable handle, similar to this:

and I spray the water on the windshield using a one gallon weed sprayer, similar to this one:

I have found that the standard squeegee found at most gas stations will reach high enough on our windshield for me to see where I'm going. I can reach as high as the windshield wipers reach so the view of the road is clean - I don't usually need to see higher than that.

Boy this hit home I never had a problem outside window. I never found a good way for getting the inside sure wish I could teach my service dog a new trick LOL. She was tough not to go on my dash and my shepherd a little to big, not a angle bitter. So anybody with a good idea? I did trt the angle shore handle you spray water that didn't work for me. My dash is about 22 inches deep.

Currently in Pueblo West, Co and at this campground, the water is extremely hard with lots or iron. Used a dry wash (Wash Wax All) to clean it with a ladder. Have to regenerate the 16K On the Go Water Softener every week.

Boy this hit home I never had a problem outside window. I never found a good way for getting the inside sure wish I could teach my service dog a new trick LOL. She was tough not to go on my dash and my shepherd a little to big, not a angle bitter. So anybody with a good idea? I did trt the angle shore handle you spray water that didn't work for me. My dash is about 22 inches deep.
For the inside; even though directions say not to, I use Rain-X on both sides once a year. Then all that's required is a quick wipe with a dampened micro-fiber cloth fastened around a cheap dollar store sponge mop. This also prevents fogging during cold wet weather, instead I place an old towel along the bottom for when the droplets run down.

20210913_194559.jpg
Fiberglass pole from Pilot Travel Center. Brushes from Ace and a squeegee head from NAPA (not shown)

I have always tried to start a day of driving with a freshly cleaned windshield. Kinda fussy about it.

Ha! I'm the same way. The other half refuses to understand and becomes impatient.

Having clean windows (AND mirrors!) is a prerequisite to a good day of driving. If the windows and mirrors are dirty, well, I can't guarantee what kind of day we're going to have.

Edit: I don't actually have anything special to clean the windows. I can still get up on the steer tires of our Seneca to reach the midpoint of the windshield. Paper towel and SprayWay for me.

View attachment 148890
Fiberglass pole from Pilot Travel Center. Brushes from Ace and a squeegee head from NAPA (not shown)
I use a similar brush on a wooden pole. The squeegee conveniently slips over the free end of the pole. A half cup of sudzing ammonia in clean water does a super job on bug guts. It’s the best I’ve found so far.
Then after drying it gets a couple applications of Rain-X.

Kevin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom