How easily can I take my Jay Flight into Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsabe07

Good evening everyone, my wife and I are planning a July camping trip along with my parents and we are thinking Niagara Falls.  If we wanted to camp on the Canadian side how much trouble would I possibly encounter (if any) taking the TT across the border?

You will need a passport and check online for illegal items like pet food you cannot take across the border.  After that it is a simple inspection process and your good to go.

donn said:
You will need a passport and check online for illegal items like pet food you cannot take across the border.  After that it is a simple inspection process and your good to go.

Does the strict rule on meats and fruits apply for Canada like it does coming into the us from Europe?  Cuz we would like to buy groceries before we go.

mrschwarz said:
In my experience, not only firearms, but firewood. ;)

Firewood?  I wonder why, bugs?  I have lots of firewood I'd love to take but if I can't then ill have to get some up there.

Yes, bugs.  There are some really nasty ones killing a lot of trees all over the U.S. and Canada.  Even in the U.S. they don't want you to carry wood across state lines, and in some cases county lines.  Many campgrounds do not allow you to bring your own wood onto the premises because they don't want their trees killed by "foreign" bugs.  Do the environmentally responsible thing and leave your wood at home to use there.

ArdraF

Although it has been years since we have camped along the Niagara area, there always were lots of excellent campgrounds.  We have never been hassled about bring normal groceries across the border.  However, at times of disease outbreaks, such as mad cow, potato blight, hoof & mouth, etc you might find "local restrictions" going either way, but nothing like US restrictions for when you want to come back, for example you cannot return with any citrus even if you can prove that you brought it with you when you crossed.  We face restrictions on alcohol & tobacco, so you should check as to how much you are allowed.
    As Ruth said, no hand guns of any description (you won't need them) and long guns by prior arranged permit only for hunting trips.  It isn't worth the risk of getting caught trying to bring them in illegally.
    Firewood is a truly local issue, but many locations will not allow any from outside their area, be it Canadian or outside the country.  Forestry remains big business, and there are many examples of non native species getting a foothold and decimating a section of the industry.  However, I doubt that you would run into difficulty in the Niagara area, since it is primarily agriculture and tourist, little forest.
    While set up, take the approximate 1 hour drive into Toronto, which offers much to see and do.  There are a lot of excellent wineries and wine tours in the area, and Niagara on the Lake, is a beautiful town, with lots of shoppes and an excellent live Theater, if interested you might want to check it out and pre-book tickets.
    Enjoy your trip.

Ed
    And lastly, don't get too upset when you discover that most people do not end every sentence with an "EH", or that you won't get push and poked while waiting in line to see the attractions.  BTW, the overall best view of the falls is along the fence at the start of the Horseshoe Falls.

Shipping firewood around from campsite to campsite in Ontario is a problem. The government is trying to keep the Asian Longhorn Beetle from demolishing forests. It's a battle they have basically lost but the restrictions remain.  I camp all along Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Lots of great spots on both sides of the border and I have found crossings to be simple. Ever once in a while the border patrol will ask to come aboard and will look around a bit, check out the fridge, say high to the kids and then send me on my way.

I have entered and exited Canada four times in the past ten years with no problems. Entering from Washington state I was ask about apples & wood. Entering Maine from New Brunswick I had two steaks taken. They did not come on board. They ask and I got them out of the refrigerator myself. They had a "Mad Cow" in Washington state the week before. They will always ask you about guns! Will ask about the amount of liquor and cigarettes & etc...on board. They will ask about the amount of money that you caring, I think $10,000 is allowed. I just laugh. You can carry a gun used for hunting, but you must have a permit and pay a fee before hand.

The wife and I were traveling with our two grandchildren into Canada at Niagara Falls. They took us inside and checked all our passports and our permission letter that allowed us to take the grandchildren into Canada. While they were checking the papers three inspectors went into the motorhome while two inspected the storage bins. They were very nice and after about 20 minutes they wished us well and we were on our way with no problems.

Don't try to pull something over on them (Like hiding a gun) and you will have no problems.

Frank

Frank,  the $10,000 cash/certified funds is a good catch.  It is because of international agreement to track money laundering and is supposed to asked when crossing any border of member countries.  It is a perfect example of bureaucracy gone wild.  There are so many ways to get around the cash issue if you really are a drug dealer or terrorist that they would use, or they'd just smuggle it across the border.
    It wasn't a problem when we bought the coach and just had the Bank send me down a wire transfer.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floss71
Back
Top Bottom