How long do RV Air Conditioners last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Some time ago the inspector said the output in our rooftop ACs was adequate but not ideal (or words to that effect). I also seem to remember he said that these units weren't "rechargeable" but over time would need to be replaced. Never got around to looking into it then but with the summer season coming up with warmer weather (hopefully), I'd like to know my options.

We're driving our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C.

Ours is still going strong after 17+ years.  Had to replace the start and run capacitors several years ago.  Pull the cover off the AC and check the condenser coils to see if they are clean and also the evaporator coils inside the RV.

I would say 15 years give or take 10-15 years, mine was built in 2002 and is still working, though I suspect it is getting close to end of life, there are some signs that the refrigerant may be getting low, the fan motor bearing may be starting to go out, and the plastic housing is showing signs of cracking.    Having said that the fan and cover are easy enough to change, though they do cost money, the refrigerant can be added, but by federal law there are no service ports on RV, portable or window air conditioners, so service ports would have to be added, which gets expensive even then it does not address a worn compressor, so simply adding refrigerant may not solve the problem, or may be a short term fix, that due to the need of service ports to be added costs a large fraction of the cost of  a new unit.

p.s. one of the places with the best parts prices on new RV air conditioners is PPL in Houston, I just say this because I know you are in  the Houston area at the moment

Mine lasted over 10 years and died due to a design fault.  Yup carrier 

How long do they last. Well if they last 10 days they will usually last 10-20-30 years if you feed them good power.. Feed them low voltages and they age ... swiftly.

We had a 1986 Toyota/Dolphin Class C some years back, and the woman we sold it to told me recently that everything in it was still working properly, with just a few relatively minor repairs. I didn't specifically ask about the A/C, but I presume that was included...

Oh, and RV roof top units are rechargeable, but an HVAC tech would have to add a set of charging ports first. The bigger problem would be finding a tech willing to do the work up on the roof, and the repair cost would likely come pretty close to the cost of a new unit.

1990 Newmar Kountryaire fifth wheel still original but needed new fan motor last year and shroud year before that
1990 Southwind MH caught original on an overhead power line and it had to be replaced 2 years ago

CLEAN THE COILS before replacing anything. THen run the A/C with a thermometer tucked into one of the outlets ( none ducted A/C). You are looking for about a 20 degree difference between the ambient temperature in the coach and the cool air exiting the unit. If you are near the 20 degree difference you are good to go. 

wackymac said:
Ours is still going strong after 17+ years.  Had to replace the start and run capacitors several years ago.  Pull the cover off the AC and check the condenser coils to see if they are clean and also the evaporator coils inside the RV.

That sounds like good-- and inexpensive advice. Thanks, will do.

My guess, the newer it is, the less long it will last.  They just don't build things like the use to.  I had a 1983 Class C, sold it in 2013, original A/C, still working fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom