How much will you pay for a watch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's about the only way I heard them called... Maybe it's a "Western Thing"???
Butch

Smoker's windows is another term I've heard. Wing windows, Vent windows, quarter glass, it's all good.

I miss these (and I don't smoke).

I have a Rolex that the Mrs gave me for Christmas back in '83. But I haven't worn it for years.
In my job, I had to remove it before going into most machine rooms, and I got to where I stopped wearing rings and watches because I never knew when I was going to be working on systems with big voltage and current readings, where it was possible to lose a finger or an arm because you "made a connection", and more than once walked off the job site without them.
Now I just don't feel comfortable with them.

I have a Rolex that the Mrs gave me for Christmas back in '83. But I haven't worn it for years.
In my job, I had to remove it before going into most machine rooms, and I got to where I stopped wearing rings and watches because I never knew when I was going to be working on systems with big voltage and current readings, where it was possible to lose a finger or an arm because you "made a connection", and more than once walked off the job site without them.
I was in the military for 24 years and never wore a watch. I quit wearing a wedding ring when I cross trained into Civil Engineering and started working on HVACR systems and fire and intrusion alarms. A ring a marriage does not make.

Same thing here. Worked on 50,000 watt transmitters in the U S Navy and we weren't allowed to wear anything including dog tags which suited me fine. Got out of the Navy and started repairing mainframe computers. Had to wear a tie but it had to be a clip-on tie as it could get caught the card readers. Saw a guy get his face smashed in in when his regular tie got caught in the card reader rollers. 80 column cards....remember those?

Me too... When I became an electrician, I quit wearing rings and metal watches... Went to a plastic watch... I can't remember the 1st one, but probably a Casio or Timex...
Butch

Don't recall the last time I wore a watch. Seems to be redundant considering all the devices that will tell me what time it is. Also don't recall the last time I bought a watch. But I can guaranty you it most likely didn't cost more than $100.00. The best one I ever had was a gift. It was a Tissot tow timer. Anyone paying $5,000 for a watch that doesn't literally have money to burn IMHO would be better off spending the money on a therapist.

Same thing here. Worked on 50,000 watt transmitters in the U S Navy and we weren't allowed to wear anything including dog tags which suited me fine. Got out of the Navy and started repairing mainframe computers. Had to wear a tie but it had to be a clip-on tie as it could get caught the card readers. Saw a guy get his face smashed in in when his regular tie got caught in the card reader rollers. 80 column cards....remember those?
Yup, and always one hand in your pocket, too. Right?

Smart watches are not really watches they are more like micro smart phones you wear on your wrist. As to traditional watches, the most I have ever spent on one was circa $1,000, which I bought about a dozen years ago, and still wear on a daily basis. I was seriously into scuba diving when I was younger, worked as a scuba instructor while I was in college, etc. so as a result I think all the watches I have owned as an adult have been waterproof to 500+ feet, etc.
15416-dick-tracy-wrist-radio-small-retro-badge-1.jpg

Wish I had a drawer full of these.
That $346.00 in 1975 is around $2,000 in today's money. That watch is worth ~$600,000.00 today.

I wonder if Gary would say he "would be better off spending the money on a therapist.";)

BTW, I purchased an Omega Watch in 1969 at the PX in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam. I wore it the entire year out there in the central highland jungles. I still own it today. It cost me a whole fifty-five bucks in 1969. I have not checked on its value, but I am fairly sure it's nothing special.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom