How Often Do You Start and or Drive Your Motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great photos. And you have been living there for 5 years, you said. How much does it cost to rent your spot in that campsite?
I have been living in the park for 9 years, 5 years in the current site. Site rent is $580 per month. That includes electricity, water, sewer, trash and yard mowing.

I have been living the RV lifestyle for twenty years. I enjoy every minute. I have been to 48 of the 50 states and all of the National Parks in the lower 48. I am parked in an RV park near Orlando. The perfect site in the perfect park in the wonderful state of Florida. I have frontage on the lagoon that is stunning. I feel like I am living in a dream. Here are some shots of my site:

I went over your photos again. You are in a good place. I am tempted to set up home right next to your site. All that water brings peace to the soul. What other places (states) would you recommend? You have been to practically all of them. You need to write a book for folks out there like me.

I have owned my fifth wheel for five years and I have never driven it, rode in it or used it as a vehicle and I have never winterized it. I bought it and paid a service to move it to my site. It is permanently parked, I plan on staying here until I die.
I am checking up some fifth wheels for sale. They all look like a good fit for the lifestyle I have in mind. What are the problems to look out for if I were to go for a used one? Do you think buying a new one, even if it costs more, is a safer bet?

No matter how long it sits, the only extra mechanical wear comes during the first 10-30 seconds after firing it up or starting to roll. May as well only do that once a year, right?
Thanks for the replies. My apologies if I missed this point in someone's reply. Does anyone know how long motor oil or transmission fluid adheres to parts? Before you run the risk of starting the engine dry?

Monthly - run gennie & engine for .75 to 1 hour, also run heat pump & AC's. No special need when using for travel or camping.
dcb

I live about 7 miles from the Pacific, and I have always tried to start and run my classic cars once a week. Usually along the coast. Same with my RV. I try to run it to the beach at least once a week. I also fire up the generator, AC and heater once a week, with the generator running for about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the replies. My apologies if I missed this point in someone's reply. Does anyone know how long motor oil or transmission fluid adheres to parts? Before you run the risk of starting the engine dry?
It would depend on the ambient temperatures, viscosity of the oil, condition of the engine etc.

It's probably not so much the cylinders but rather over time the oil pump, which has a short suction tube from the oil pan, can drain out through "worn gears" and then it takes a little longer to get oil into the bearings. On rare occasions, especially an old engine, the oil pump won't prime and then you get no oil pressure.

If you have an oil gauge or light the old saw is that if you don't see positive oil pressure (or light off) in 10-20 seconds you should shut down and investigate.

This should go without saying but for young people (like my kid) I will state it. If you have yellow enunciations on the dash and the engine seems "normal" press on. However "any" red light on the dash is cause for immediate pull over and shut down. The two "red lights" are oil pressure and coolant temperature.

I try to run her every other week, even if it only a mile or two.
Exercising tires, and mechanical elements is a solid practice.
Don’t forget about your battery and charging systems.

I try to run her every other week, even if it only a mile or two.
Exercising tires, and mechanical elements is a solid practice.
Don’t forget about your battery and charging systems.
A mile or two? You’re doing more harm than good.

A mile or two? You’re doing more harm than good.
Amen- you need at least 30 minutes of running (not at idle) to get the engine and tranny thoroughly warmed up in order to evaporate the internal engine moisture buildup that happens every time you start the rig (especially a cold start).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom