How to avoid tax increase nys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brev1234

morning, I'm new. Just purchased a used 5th wheel. 26 ft. Pretty nice. I have my own property, its vacant meadow type, 1 acre. I already pay property and school taxes yearly. How can I avoid a tax increase? Assesor is not available. I live in the town of williamstown. Thank you cathy

Welcome to the forum.
You’re going to have to get the accessor involved and also the code enforcement officer. You don’t want to invest a bunch of money only to find out that it’s not per code and they make you remove everything you did.

Generally speaking, an RV is not considered "real property", so should have no effect on your property & school taxes. It's a movable item, like a car or a boat, so doesn't increase the value of the property any. But if you make fixed improvements to the lot, say maybe a storage building, that could increase the value of the property.

Check with your local tax assessor, but I'm quite confident this is the case in NY.

If NY has a Personal Property tax, that might apply. They didn't when we lived there, but that was decades ago.

No personal property tax. But yes, get educated on the local building codes. Adding a well and septic system will "improve" the property. Storage sheds usually are not an issue - based on size and whether there is a foundation - keep it under the max size and on skids. A lot of the codes and rules are local, not necessarily State.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom