How to disconnect battery charger for Distribution panel Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are welcome.. Glad it was that easy.. also I believe connecting two wires to one breaker terminal is a code violation but the key word is BELIEVE as I"m not an expert on the code.
But of course. you fixed it.
Indeed it is a code violation unless the breaker is approved under its UL or ETL listing. Only breaker I know of is Square D Homeline has two wire positions on them. Others, use a wire nut or WAGO and combine the two wires and a short pigtail and run the pigtail into the breaker. Winnebago puts two wires inside a ferrule and crimps the ferrule and then puts that in the breaker, usually only found on the fridge/converter breaker.

Charles

Indeed it is a code violation unless the breaker is approved under its UL or ETL listing. Only breaker I know of is Square D Homeline has two wire positions on them. Others, use a wire nut or WAGO and combine the two wires and a short pigtail and run the pigtail into the breaker. Winnebago puts two wires inside a ferrule and crimps the ferrule and then puts that in the breaker, usually only found on the fridge/converter breaker.

Charles
Thanks.. As I said I suspect. Sounds like you know for a fact.. Always good to get confirmation.

The new WFCO converters claim to be auto sensing and will charge lithium or lead acid correctly without user intervention. As with all things WFCO, I have my doubts, but the OP needs to keep an eye on it, to see if it is fully charging the lithium after dark.

I'll parrot what others have said. Do not try to out think the system. DC can accept power from multiple sources at one time, and generally highest voltage wins, no damage is done to have solar, converter (shore or generator) and 7 way from tow vehicle, all inputting at one time.

Charles
Thank you for the input Charles.
My only question would be, because we are very rarely hooked to shore power, if the charge feed from the converter/charger is left attached, as soon as the battery ran down the slightest it would attempt to charge the battery using the inverter being powered by the battery thus causing the unwanted cycle?

I also did not realise the feed from the 7 pin in the truck would be Lithium capable when in tow!

as soon as the battery ran down the slightest it would attempt to charge the battery using the inverter being powered by the battery thus causing the unwanted cycle?

Unless I missed it this is the first you've mentioned having an INVERTER. An Inverter takes battery 12VDC input and outputs 120VAC.
If you have an Inverter you are correct that you do not want it to power the Converter.
An Inverter adds complexity to your setup and there are numerous ways to skin that cat.

It is possible and should have been wired so that the converter is shut off during inverter operation. Many inverters have the capability to do this. You have to supply the inverter's 120v AC differently, not directly from the breaker. I know only a little about this, only that it can be done. I have a built in generator and little use for an inverter so I have not studied up on inverter systems.

Hopefully someone else on here can provide more details. It would help if you provided the exact model of inverter. Some of the gurus could look up that model to see if and how it could be done.

Charles

All it take is $$. This TS will disconnect the converter when the inverter is running.
30 amp Pre-wired Transfer Switch
Good idea. You can do the same thing with a relay that's only energized when you're connected to shore power or the generator. Or you can use this transfer switch, which costs considerably less $$ than the Go Power. Wire either so the coil is energized when the inverter is on and use the contacts to disconnect the power going to the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/AC120V-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-HD060/dp/B0BRQ7KQQ7/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom