How to inflate tires to high pressure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shoppeman1

I have been to several local gas stations for air...but none of them have air in the 85 to 100 lb range that my tires require.  Do I buy a portable tire pump with the capacity I need, and use either shore or generator power to pump my tires.  Are there any specific  suggestions on a good brand of tire pump? Thanks

I would suggest you go to where you plan on getting your coach serviced. They should have an adequate air supply. Truck Stops also have adequate air supply. If you want to do it yourself I would buy an Electric Air Compressor that would work off of you generator and carry it fold in the front that is capable of supplying your air. air brakes, there is a manifold that is capable of suppllying your air.

When buying a small compressor, pay close attention to the air volume (cfm) it delivers at high pressures. It's easy and cheap to build a compressor that gives high psi - you see little 12v ones that are rated for 150 or 200 psi. But it's harder to do that and produce a usable volume of air that will adequately fill a large tire. Look for one that can deliver at least 1 cfm at 90-100 psi.  1.5-2.0 cfm would be even better.

If the compressor specs do not state the air flow volume (cfm @ xx psi), forget that one and keep on shopping.

Sears often has some decent small ones that fit in an RV ok. You don't need a large air tank for occasional RV tire use, but if you plan other uses for it you may want a bigger tank.

I am a proponent of having the ability to air up a (MH) tire where ever I am.  For gaser MHs that equates to carrying a air compressor on board.  It can be quite frustrating to realize, at the time you are leaving, that you have a low tire and must drive somewhere out of the way to air it up.  This is a real pain in rear when you are in a strange area and have no idea where to take it.

I am on my third Sears air compressor.  The first was one like Gary talked about.  About the second time I used  it it burned up.  I took it back and got a replacement.  The replacement went the same way.  Then I obtained a bigger unit................

You have 2 or 3 choices depending on your horse:

Truck stops, or tire stores catering to trucks, will have at least 150 PSI hoses

I have a portable compressor, from Sears, says 150 psi on the label, delivers 160, turn on at 125,

IF, and only IF, your horse has air brakes.. That system can provide the pressure as well.

Anyplace that works on trucks will be able to get you the air you need.  Most Firestone and/or Goodyear service shops will be good bets, and after a nice talk the manager on duty may let you use the air hose for free.  ;)  We have a BP service station (pretty rare these days) in my small town that is set up to work on grain/corn transport semi's (lots of agriculture processing around here) so I'm lucky that I have a close source of free high-powered tire air.

I would like someone to elaborate on the idea of going to a truck stop or tire dealer. Most of the experts on here say that you should only set the psi on your tires when they are cold. Driving the unit to a truck stop or tire dealer heats up the tires. Does anyone actually sit at the tire dealer or truck stop until the tires are cold?

Thanks in advance.

Stan

I carry a small compressor that I got at Home Depot. I let it run and fill up then put the air in the tire then let it run again until it cuts off then fill the tire some more. I have to do this about 3 or 4 times but it does fill the tire

parttymer said:
I would like someone to elaborate on the idea of going to a truck stop or tire dealer. Most of the experts on here say that you should only set the psi on your tires when they are cold. Driving the unit to a truck stop or tire dealer heats up the tires. Does anyone actually sit at the tire dealer or truck stop until the tires are cold?

Thanks in advance.

Stan
If the tire pressure is low, it will be low cold or hot.  The reason to check the pressure cold is that as the tire heats up, the pressure increases.  But if they are low, it won't increase enough to be properly inflated.  So it's best to inflate them when they are hot rather than driving on them underinflated.  The next time the tires are cold, just double-check the pressure to be sure.

parttymer said:
I would like someone to elaborate on the idea of going to a truck stop or tire dealer.

Stan

One way is to take your cold tire pressure readings before heading out to the truck stop/tire dealer. Then take your readings again and add the pressure differential needed when cold. For example, you take a cold reading of 90 psi, your tire should be at 95 psi. When you get to the air hose, you add 5 psi to whatever the reading is then.

You do it the way Bernie says - calculate the amount needed in advance, when the tire is cold. Then add that amount regardless of the pressure reading when hot.

You can drive 3-5 miles without heating the tire up very much, but by 20-25 miles they are thoroughly hot. And it takes 4+ hours for them to cool down again, so you would not want to sit around and wait at the air pump.

Re "Set when cold"  And "Go to truck stop"

Drive to Flying-J, park for the night, climb in the back and go to bed, check pressure in AM.

As I said, I carry 160 PSI compressed air, more than I need to blow up a tire..

Or you could just click  this link http://powertank.com/

the companies that sell Jeep accessories, Quadratec, 4wheeldrive.com and many others sell small 12V air compressors that will provide the pressure needed.  Some are even designed for continuous duty cycles, but most are no more than 50%.  They are fairly expensive though. 

I would go with the 10# co2 cylinder. It will fill many tires, and is also useful for when your growler of beer goes flat. ;D

Just use dry air and you won't notice the difference.  Save the C02 for important things, like the beer :)

Back
Top Bottom