How to pick a camper -- reviews, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild Turkey

I've been shopping on line for several days and made a couple of trips to dealers and am getting confused. (Some brands don't make things easy!)
One brand I've looked at is Palomino but haven't seen any reviews/comparisons I trust.

Anyone got a link to a good site?

Palomino is at the lower end of the price range, so the fit and finish isn't the best. I've experienced things like wood moldings popping loose, some drawers that weren't installed properly and needed to be shimmed, and other things like that. However, no major problems.

Since you are near to Louisville, I suggest that you spend a lot of time looking at everything available at several of the larger dealers. RV ratings by brand are difficult to find but the best and most comprehensive that I know of would be the RV Consumer Group. They also have a lot of really good information for the new RV buyer, but since they take no advertising you will have to pay for the information.

Reviews by others will only get you so far. You need to personally go visit floor plans you think you might like and try them out. Spend time opening drawers etc and looking. Cheap or shoddy workmanship is usually easy to spot once your past the glitter. IMHO the most important thing is livability. How comfortable am I in it for a day or 2 of rainy or cold weather.

Once you've determined weight allowance and price range, as well as overall condition, floor plan is the big thing. Besides what donn says, spend some time in the candidate rig pretending that you are living in it, and try bathroom size, shower size/roominess, cooking arrangments, sleeping arrangements, where you might store various things such as dishes, pots and pans, clothing, bedding, linens, etc, AND check what you might do when you have four continuous days of heavy rain, etc.

RVtrader is also a good place to browse and search but their prices are pretty jacked.

I sold my popup through RVTrader. The experience was pretty good. However, the relentless barrage of emails that followed trying to get me to buy a rv through them was annoying. But I guess that's how it is now.

When we were looking we found too many trailers without ANY place for normal 10” plates! Bring a tape measure. We sat in dozens of trailers to get a feeling of a floor plan we liked. Once we had that, we looked a hundreds of units on RVTrader till we found the Model we wanted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom