How to power rear-view camera receiver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan4o

I am installing a rear-view wireless camera on my 1997 Triple E.
Work at the back is done, and transmitter is properly powered.

My question is now:
How where to connect to power the Receiver from the Reverse Lights positive in the front end?
How to identify the Reverse Lights fuse? (what number is the fuse on 1997 Triple E)
Do I need to connect after or before the fuse?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• rear_view_camera_receiver.png
    rear_view_camera_receiver.png
    665.2 KB · Views: 8
  • diagram.png
    diagram.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 8
Just an idea for you. Maybe you might want to power it directly with a switch from a constant power source so you could use it to monitor the area behind you while driving.

Mine is constantly on unless I use my turn signals and then it shows the view from the camera in my outside mirror for the side that is blinking.

I am gonna guess that in 1987 more than the reverse lights were on one fuse. I think you are gonna have to identify the circuit/switch in the shifter. If it's a column shift you may get lucky and identify the woring by color (same as bulb color hopefully)

Alternately find the color at the bulb and then find the same color at the front of the body harness.

However, like Bill I wired my camera to be "always on" ignition switched as it adds huge situational awareness behind the RV.

I hear what you are saying folks and it make sense to me the back camera to be on all the time since there is no way to see what is happening behind the vehicle in the interior mirror...
I might do it in the future...
For now I have to resolve the front end power issue though.
Thank you!

If you simply connect the lead labeled (Reverse lights fuse positive) to a 12 volt supply with a switch or even to a source that it only hot with the ignition on you will solve the problem of powering the monitor.

I am gonna guess that in 1987 more than the reverse lights were on one fuse. I think you are gonna have to identify the circuit/switch in the shifter. If it's a column shift you may get lucky and identify the woring by color (same as bulb color hopefully)

Alternately find the color at the bulb and then find the same color at the front of the body harness.

However, like Bill I wired my camera to be "always on" ignition switched as it adds huge situational awareness behind the RV.
Aah documentation lists 3 items in total connected through the Fuse #5 incl. the back up light... so no use of this fuse...
I'd have to open the column and try to identify the switch in the shifter. The wire was black as far as I remember (will double check though).

Aah documentation lists 3 items in total connected through the Fuse #5 incl. the back up light... so no use of this fuse...
I'd have to open the column and try to identify the switch in the shifter. The wire was black as far as I remember (will double check though).

If you identify the color at the bulb it might be easier to snag it from the body harness as I mentioned. The column bundle can be really tight to work around and then you gotta get a splice in there - not fun...

Good luck with it.

PS - I doubt it's gonna be black. That's usually a ground.

Back
Top Bottom