How To Repair Decals On Outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fthomas

Good day all,

My wife, Brenda, and I were looking at the outside of our Mirada and noticed that the decals for the strips and lettering were peeling away on the edges, which makes it looks ugly. Is there any easy way to fix the problem? I'm seriously thinking of removing the decals, but I'm sure I'll have different colors on the skin because of sun fading.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Frank

There is no repair for peeling or fading decals.  And you are right - the color underneath will be much brighter than the surrounding areas. Maybe its time to spruce up the old gal with a new paint job? Or some new style decals that will cover the old locations?

http://www.graphicsrv.com/

I was considering contacting Coachman and seeing if they still can sell the decals that originally came with the RV. Well, either I live with it or fork out. I think with the fact that I'll be spending probably $3k on upgrading the electrical for extended rving, I'll hold off on the decaling. But thanks for the site link. I'm going to take a look anyhow. You never know!

Frank

Replacement decals are expensive and one of the major suppliers went out of business and with them went many of the patterns used.

If you do decide to remove them, turn to 3M for help. They make a chemical that you can apply to the vinyl decal that will cause it to soften and release from the rig. Then you'll have to apply the adhesive remover they also make to remove the glue residue.

Once you've gone that far, have someone paint on the next graphics using the nonfaded area as a reference.

You can also try a decal eraser set up from amazon. You can use a cordless drill. Don't apply a lot of pressure, let the eraser do the work. You may need to finish with a liquid adhesive remover then try a light polish. Hawkeye had a good idea using the faded area as a outline and paint them back on.

I experienced the same thing on our 2002 Dolphin.  I took it in to a shop that specializes in vinyl graphics removal/application.  They removed the old graphics and applied new graphics over the discolored areas from the old ones.  This, in addition to a complete rub-out and wax job made my coach look brand new for about $3K.  They even did a computerized replication of the Dolphin logo on the rear.  I could have done a clear-coat but that would have taken the job to $5K.  Very happy with the job they did.

Back
Top Bottom