How to stay in sync?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

There are 4 computers in my life.

I have a 5 GB pocket drive - the theory is/was that I would use that.  But sometimes I forget.

So how do I (easily) get the pocket drive updated with the changes from computer 1 without overwritting changes from computer 2 and then get computers 3 & four back up to date?

The last step can be done brute force, but is there an (easy) way to just copy over the changed files?

Joel

Depends on what type of files you want to synchronize.  What are the applications that you want to sync?  If it's just files in My Documents, for example, there are a number of synchronizing programs available that will work across a network.

Ned said:
If it's just files in My Documents, for example, there are a number of synchronizing programs available that will work across a network.

Sorry - yes - just my documents - and just need to sync the pocket drive & to the pocket drive. ---- but I could put the "master" up on line.

If you only modify the files on one computer at a time, you can just copy the entire directory (or directories) back and forth.  If you are modifying different files on the 2 computers, then you need a syncing program.  I use SyncBackSE from www.2brightsparks.com for my automated backups.  I also use Beyond Compare from www.scootersoftware.com for manual syncing of folders on 2 computers.  Just don't modify the SAME files on both computers between syncing operations.

Microsoft has a Power Toy for Windows users (At least XP users) called "SyncToy" 

Been a while since I used it, but I have used it, and If memory serves it allows me to sync two directories on the same drive, on different drives on the same computer or on different computers over a network (provided I have access),

I'm not sure how it does it if you modify each of two files though  (IE: I have a bookmarks.html flie on the laptop.  I have another (main) computer that also has a bookmarks.html file  I don't knwo what happens if iI add different bookmerks to both files) but I do know it will copy the lastest modified to the target for me when syncing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbwrecker
Back
Top Bottom